Honored Contributor

Uh, um.....use your lights?

Really don’t believe an accident is prevented

because someone ‘sees’ the color of your car.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Asphalt colored cars

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Seems to me I heard that red cars are both cop magnets and moving targets because they stand out...

I've heard certain brighter shades referred to as "Arrest Me Red".

Unfortunately, it’s just a myth.

If you’re speeding, you’re speeding....regardless the color of the car.

Radar picks up long before visual

Honored Contributor

I like my vehicles the way I like my household appliances: Workaday white.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

That's my favorite color for a car.  I bought a new Altima last year and really wanted that color.  I ended up with a silver one, though.  I had a choice between that dark color with 3,000+ miles or the silver with 658 miles.  Both cars were fully loaded with all the extras.  I chose the silver with less miles and am very happy with it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We are shopping for a new car and 1 of the things on my list of deal breakers is it CAN NOT be asphalt gray.

You know that dark silver, charchoal gray color that is the EXACT same color as the road!

For safety reasons only this color is a No!  It is the disappearing car - especially at dawn, dusk, fog and rain.

I was talking with one of the dealership owners about this and after he studied his car lot and turned to me and said "you are right, it is a perfect match to asphalt.  You just ruined that color for me."  He agreed with my point about safety

It doesn't have daytime running lamps? Even if it doesn't, wouldn't you have those turned on at dawn, dusk, rain or fog? I would. Of course my car the headlights are always on. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

The asphalt gray doesn't bother me at all. It's that light gray which I call "fog gray" that I hate.  They disappear in the fog.

Esteemed Contributor

Both out SUV and truck are white. Grays oxidize very badly in the Arizona heat. 

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

My current car is gold tone, as was my previous car.  Love the color.  Most always looks clean (except when the birds target it!!!!)

That's a good color. It seems like we used to see more of it. I preferred it to the silver metallics, though both can be nice.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

At one time we bought a small sporty Saturn in navy blue.  Big mistake!  Had so many near calls (usually from much higher SUVs) that we traded it in 18 months for a similar bright yellow Saturn.  I loved that car (and no more close calls).  We currently own a light blue Prius, which though not a terribly high visibility color, is resistant to little rock dings.  Our other car is a yellow Z, which we still love after 12 years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Asphalt colored cars

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Seems to me I heard that red cars are both cop magnets and moving targets because they stand out...

I've heard certain brighter shades referred to as "Arrest Me Red".

Unfortunately, it’s just a myth.

If you’re speeding, you’re speeding....regardless the color of the car.

Radar picks up long before visual

I read that white cars, one of which I own, actually get the most citations, but I also read that for several years running, white is the most popular color, so it makes sense that the more cars there are on the road, the more likely they are to get cited... The same report indicated that red cars are cited second, though far fewer of them are sold... So who knows... All that said, not all tickets are doled out based on radar and I think cops might well be more prone to notice red cars on the roads, as apparently many people are. I suspect red is also a 'safer' color for women than it is for  men... And if you're a dicey driver in a red car, well, it is what is is...

Woman Wink Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...