Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Asleep in Their Beachfront Condos, They Vanished into a Mountain of Rubble'

@patbz, Yes, That is the latest news.  I also heard one expert say that these types of buildings should be closely inspected every ten years, not forty.  Every person in that building was loved and irreplaceable.  There is talk about totally evacuating a building built by the same outfit a few blocks away, I seem to think.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Asleep in Their Beachfront Condos, They Vanished into a Mountain of Rubble'

@PamfromCT :  I think you are right, these buildings should be inspected much more frequently.  They will soon tighten laws in Florida governing multi story structures on the coastline.  Wonder if some of these buildings will be condemned and torn down? That'll deflate the value of this type of structure but cause one and two story buildings to sky rocket.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@Skyegirl21  I'm no engineer but I've lived here many years.  First, there's a culture of corruption in the Florida building industry. Miami is probably the worst. There was a hug construction boon in S Florida in the 70's and early 80's.. The soil is just sand here, all construction requires fill to be brought in.  It's the way they build here, it's safe, they'll determine what factors contributed to the collapse, this has never happened in S Fl before.

@decaf    I'm no engineer either but I'd think they would drill down to bedrock then build on piers.  Surely they don't build on sand or soft fill.

I wonder if they've had forced evacuation of the standing condos in that building?  Wonder if people were permitted to remove possessions?  @Mindy D   Do you know? 

@Kachina624  Yes, these buildings are built on piers,I believe they drill down to the limestone bed in S Florida.  They evacuated the entire building, also adjacent condo buildings, that's what I heard on TV.  Just to be safe.