Respected Contributor

Re: 'Asleep in Their Beachfront Condos, They Vanished into a Mountain of Rubble'

My sympathies go to everyone, everywhere effected.  This is a Tragic and Horrific disaster and I feel that "Vanished" seems like Far to Clean a word for what has happened to those poor souls in rubble of that building.

Respected Contributor

Re: 'Asleep in Their Beachfront Condos, They Vanished into a Mountain of Rubble'

I think more people (albeit not many) will be found alive and it will be a miracle.

I also can't help but think perhaps one of the tenants in the complex was up to no good, experimenting with explosives, chemicals, etc. to plan an attack.  Isn't it terrible to think like that?  But it is possible.  And afterall, people do seem to be acting nuttier than usual.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

This is so tragic. Hope is all that's left for the families and friends of the missing. Sometimes we see very young children rescued from these disasters. I pray that at least that can happen in Florida. I also hope that investigations will show how, what, and why this happened. I am somewhat familiar with the area, since I drove through it many times years ago, visiting relatives. I cannot imagine the anguish that friends and relatives of the victims are experiencing.

Trusted Contributor

So very sad indeed, hope and prayers!........and to all the rescue workers for their tireless effort & energy, may their health in years to come not be affected by the extreme environmental & toxic fumes that they are being exposed to, many I noticed are wearing face masks to help protect themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

Sad beyond words. I hope they find out what caused it and use the information to see nothing ever happens like this again.   

Trusted Contributor

@Skyegirl21  I'm no engineer but I've lived here many years.  First, there's a culture of corruption in the Florida building industry. Miami is probably the worst. There was a hug construction boon in S Florida in the 70's and early 80's.. The soil is just sand here, all construction requires fill to be brought in.  It's the way they build here, it's safe, they'll determine what factors contributed to the collapse, this has never happened in S Fl before.

Honored Contributor

Very tragic,  law suits have started,  i think soon they will  start recovery.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

As senseless and  heartbraking as  any of the manmade  disasters  like  the Twin Towers of 9/11  and the Oklahoma City bombing   . You sit on the edge of your seat each day  praying and hoping they find survivors . Your heart just breaks for  the families of these  victims.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Skyegirl21  I'm no engineer but I've lived here many years.  First, there's a culture of corruption in the Florida building industry. Miami is probably the worst. There was a hug construction boon in S Florida in the 70's and early 80's.. The soil is just sand here, all construction requires fill to be brought in.  It's the way they build here, it's safe, they'll determine what factors contributed to the collapse, this has never happened in S Fl before.

@decaf    I'm no engineer either but I'd think they would drill down to bedrock then build on piers.  Surely they don't build on sand or soft fill.

I wonder if they've had forced evacuation of the standing condos in that building?  Wonder if people were permitted to remove possessions?  @Mindy D   Do you know? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

There was an engineering g report three years ago that the pool deck was incorrectly built flat ( as opposed to slanted) and that there was extensive corrosion in some support columns in garage.  There were photos in NYT this morning.  Report stated this would be major repair but needed to be started asap.  I'm sure they've already evacuated remaining part of building but now they're  looking at sister condo to the South that was built by same builder, using same materials and probably same plans within a year.