Honored Contributor

Re: Asking to buy the house you are renting?

Why don't you just ask them if they are interested in selling the house to you?  It doesn't seem complicated to me.  If they are interested, you negotiate price.  You might not need a realtor but you definitely need a real estate attorney.

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why don't you just ask them if they are interested in selling the house to you?  It doesn't seem complicated to me.  If they are interested, you negotiate price.  You might not need a realtor but you definitely need a real estate attorney.

I rent through a agency.  

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I rent through a agency.  

Then the  agency knows who the owner is.  You ask the agency if they can contact the owner and ask if they are interested in selling.  

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Thank you everyone.  We are locked into the lease for a year.  We will see if we feel the same in a few months.  We really really like this house!

if you are locked into another lease for an entire year without any way to get out of it, maybe spring will be the time to start looking in the general area you are already in.

that way, if the owner says he is not interested in selling his property, then you can let him know that you will be looking to purchase another home within the year.

it will give you a good idea on pricing and options. maybe your "perfect home" isnt the one you are living in now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I rent through a agency.  

Then the  agency knows who the owner is.  You ask the agency if they can contact the owner and ask if they are interested in selling.  

Yes. I get that.

Honored Contributor

DH and I owned rentals and throughout that period, tenants had commented about wanting to buy them.  I'm sure they expected a deal after having rented them for so long.  However we knew that due to their financial situations, none of them were going to ever be able to realistically make a purchase and we weren't interested in doing a Land Contract.

We sold the properties last year and the same tenants are still living in the houses.  I'm just happy to be done. LOL 

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I rent because I got transferred here for work and absolutely hate this city. I have a high school freshmen and don’t plan on being here too much past June 2023. If I suddenly fall in love with Columbus, Ohio (doubtful), I’d ask my landlord if he was interested in selling for just under market value and I’d have funds secured before I did. I would expect to pay under market value because he wouldn’t have any work to do on the place first. He wouldn’t have to paint, spruce up the landscaping, or update anything. I’d expect a discount for that.

@RollTide2008, may I ask what you don't like about Columbus?  I love it there.  In particular, I really like Dublin.