Honored Contributor

Re: Asking Your Age in Job Applications

@suzyQ3   As far as I can remember and especially if it is a large company.  If you are applying at a small co. I doubt it very much.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

Oh for Heavens sakes!   When I was looking for jobs back in the 60's-70's, you had to list your age and attach a recent photo to your resume before you would be considered for an interview.  

Back then, interviewers would ask if you were married, if you planned to have children (or had children), and even would ask what kind of birth control you were on.   It was all perfectly legal then.  You have nothing to complain about if an employer just wants to know your age.  Be thankful for the laws we have now.

@tototwo  What were you applying for - a handmaid in Gilead???

What did they ask the male applicants?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

My problem isn't with providing my age, it's with having to submit to a drug test just to submit an application.  I realize it's becoming standard practice to drug test employees or prospective employees, but just to submit an application??  No way.  I went to an agency looking for just a part time job and was told I'd have to take a drug test the same day I filled out the application.  When I walked out they acted all cavalier about it, like I was being unreasonable.  Guess they thought this 65 year old lady was a druggie when I did that!  I'm old fashioned I suppose, but I was appalled.

@caroln242   If they allowed you to refuse the drug test based on your age or any other reason-that would discriminate against other younger applicants.

Cannot win for the lose.  LOL

I had a drug test years ago but I was already hired; I just couldn't start until I had the drug test.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3No.  Why would race matter?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@drizzelllaif you hadn't done any of the drugs that they typically look for why would you be worried about being drug tested?  Do you use illicit drugs?  (I don't expect you to answer that), but that would be the only reason to have this concern).

I had no idea all the different chemicals that were in Cascade powder. 

I no longer use powder Cascade. But there are many warnings on the box of the dishwasher tablets that I now use. And it states if ingested call Poison Control or a Doctor.

Didn't know if it contained chemicals you would not expect to encounter in a drug test.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@gertrudecloset   You absolutely read my comment wrong.  I blame the co and rules they follow and that is how it works.

It sure doesn't read that way @Katcat1 .  It appears that you tried to make a case for reverse discrimination.  The only ones who can discriminate is the employer.  Blaming the lack of available jobs on protected classes because of their minority status is a cop out.  Let the employers do what is right.  Hire based on solely based on best fit for the job.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@drizzelllaif you hadn't done any of the drugs that they typically look for why would you be worried about being drug tested?  Do you use illicit drugs?  (I don't expect you to answer that), but that would be the only reason to have this concern).

I no longer use powder Cascade. But there are many warnings on the box of the dishwasher tablets that I now use. And it states if ingested call Poison Control or a Doctor.

Didn't know if it contained chemicals you would not expect to encounter in a drug test.

So you're telling me then that you ingested Cascade @drizzellla ?  This has got to be the doozie of the day.  SMH

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

So you're telling me then that you ingested Cascade @drizzellla ?  This has got to be the doozie of the day.  SMH

Yes I did.

Esteemed Contributor

Sure you did!

Have a nice weekend.....

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@suzyQ3No.  Why would race matter?

That's what I thought. @gertrudecloset & @Katcat1

I do not think that it is legal for any business to ask about race. I think that was outlawed some time ago.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland