Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asking Your Age in Job Applications

@lovesrecess wrote:

Even lots of initial interviews are now being conducted via Zoom. The final interview is the only one done in person. SIL just began a new job a few days ago and his first time to meet anyone in person was his first day on the job; all other interaction had been on Zoom or on the phone.

@lovesrecessthat's the case all the time.  It's popular, but there are some smaller and medium sized companies that just don't do it that way.  Believe it or not the face to face is still important to some businesses.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Oh for Heavens sakes!   When I was looking for jobs back in the 60's-70's, you had to list your age and attach a recent photo to your resume before you would be considered for an interview.  

Back then, interviewers would ask if you were married, if you planned to have children (or had children), and even would ask what kind of birth control you were on.   It was all perfectly legal then.  You have nothing to complain about if an employer just wants to know your age.  Be thankful for the laws we have now.

@tototwoThe Equal Employment Opportunity Commission didn't exist then.  They were created as part of the Executive Branch of the U.S. government because of rampant discrimination on the basis of sex.  We do know that the late great Ruth Bader Ginsberg won a terrific precedent in hiring on the basis of sex.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Its a federal law, but I'm sure it's used to discriminate.  It's very difficult to prove if you think you were discriminated.  It's just one of those things you can't really do anything about. Some companies want young, vigorous, lower paid candidate. I remember recently we were looking for a new library president.  We had 6 candidates.  They all had to  make an speech on why they were the best person for the job.  One of them, was a 60 plus woman who had decided to come back from retirement. She wasn't picked.  The person that got the job was for such a position (late 30's) and male.   We preferred the woman.  But somebody made a crack about how they wanted person that would not drop dead less then a year after being hired. So believe it or not, that is a factor.

@songbirdRuth Bader Ginsberg didn't think so.  I think if a company does this as a matter of course, (routinely) and people get wind of it; Class Action could settle this.  It is hard to prove, but not impossible.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzelllaif you hadn't done any of the drugs that they typically look for why would you be worried about being drug tested?  Do you use illicit drugs?  (I don't expect you to answer that), but that would be the only reason to have this concern).

Esteemed Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@gertrudecloset  Some employers especially state,local or federal agencies need such information to do criminal background checks.

That would be the except than the rule.  And you need the candidate's consent @webbgarner1 . If the candidate does not consent, he/she likely will not get that job.

Honored Contributor

@MM13    That is not the only thing as far as discrimination.  They ask your race.  So if they need a minority if you are white don't expect a call.  If the minority quota is filled, then if you are white you will get a call.  This happens all the time so age is the least of your worries.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@MM13    That is not the only thing as far as discrimination.  They ask your race.  So if they need a minority if you are white don't expect a call.  If the minority quota is filled, then if you are white you will get a call.  This happens all the time so age is the least of your worries.

@Katcat1 This wouldn't have to happen if they hired diversely from the get go.  Don't blame the minorities.  Blame the employers for not hiring diversely.  If a White woman is needed for a front desk position there are plenty of them to meet the needs of a company. 

I just say put the blame squarely where it belongs.  The Company is to blame; not the candidates.  The people can't do a thing without the company's permission.

Honored Contributor

Are employees allowed to ask your race? @Katcat1 & @gertrudecloset 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I don't think that it's unreasonable to mandate drug testing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   You absolutely read my comment wrong.  I blame the co and rules they follow and that is how it works.

kindness is strength