Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asking Your Age in Job Applications

@RetRN wrote:

Answering it would not be a big deal to me, they can figure it out or pretty close quite easily. I don't understand all of the secrecy about age. 

@RetRN the questions portends to bias against older workers.  This has been an American problem for years.  Age discrimination.  How could you not be aware of this?

Older Americans competing for jobs that those fresh out of college want too.  Thing is employers can pay fresh out of college less than their older, much more experienced counterparts.  It's big problem for those over 40 to get jobs in many industries.  It's not make believe.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother had two friends who were overtly mistreated as they got close to retirement and entitled to a sizable pension. The company tried hard to get them both to quit, but coworkers chipped in and helped them carry very heavy boxes, etc that the company knew they could not do....and they both lasted until they could retire. Am sure it really chapped the company, but it still happens everyday. Companies try to worm their way out of paying money they have promised to loyal workers who are entitled to their pension. They don't like older workers...but do value their experience and wisdom.

Respected Contributor

@MM13  I read an article not long ago that a human is not seeing the initial applications at larger companies. Artificial intelligence is screening applicants. It is looking for catch phrases and buzz words before it sends your application forward. You might want to invest some time in a google search to see if you can locate these. (I remember an example like "generated $250,000 in revenue"; "grew profits by 5%", etc.)  Perhaps you can find some that suit the position you are seeking.

I will leave my rant about artificial intelligence for another day and another post.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@MM13 wrote:

I've been filling out job applications online recently and one that I did today asked me to fill in my birthdate. I tried to skip that part in the form as I thought this was illegal, but it wouldn't let me proceed without doing that part.

I entered it in, but I'm not too thrilled about it. When did this become something they were allowed to ask?

When did it become a question that a prospective employer was NOT allowed to ask?

@vsm   It's not a matter of not being allowed.  A smart employer doesn't want to know certain thing because if he doesn't know, he can't be accused of discriminating on that basis. There are certain things which just aren't asked. 

Plenty of  employers -- whether "smart" in your book or not -- ask an applicant's age.  Date of birth is included as a matter of course on job applications and resumes. When it's not included,  it's usually inferable from work history, educational background, references, etc. Every employer I've ever had since I was 15 has either asked my age outright or learned it from my application or resume and/or during an interview.  I've done the same as an employer myself.  It's pretty standard.

Super Contributor

@kaydee50 

Thank you for the good wishes!

Respected Contributor

It's illegal to discriminate because of your age (we all know they do it), except where required by law to be a certain age for certain jobs (i.e., to serve alcohol).

They will use your birthdate for background and credit checks.

Honored Contributor

I used to hire for a Hospital and you could pretty much figure out how old people were without asking by their resume.  

Esteemed Contributor

Age should not be asked. It is irrelevant. If an employer needs to know if you are over 18, that might be ok....but that is it. Counter to what some have said in this thread, I think it is illegal for employers to ask.

Trusted Contributor

When applications are required to be submitted online chances are an older person will be looked over but when people were allowed to go to the human resources department or look up a manager of a department you were interested in, a person often had a much better chance in gaining employment through their winning personality, their enthusiasm and knowledge in the field that they were interested in contributing.  I always obtained employment that way but was never granted one single interview ever in my life when I had to submit an online application. 

Super Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

When applications are required to be submitted online chances are an older person will be looked over but when people were allowed to go to the human resources department or look up a manager of a department you were interested in, a person often had a much better chance in gaining employment through their winning personality, their enthusiasm and knowledge in the field that they were interested in contributing.  I always obtained employment that way but was never granted one single interview ever in my life when I had to submit an online application. 

Yup - unfortunately everything is online now. I just wish I could go in person and make my impression that way instead of posting cover letters and resumes for keyword-searching bots!