Super Contributor

Re: Asking Your Age in Job Applications

This same application did have a question about race, but it was optional. The birthdate was not optional.

Honored Contributor

Before hiring someone I would want to know as much as possible about them. I would think employers would like to hire the best candidate for the position they are filling. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MM13 wrote:

This same application did have a question about race, but it was optional. The birthdate was not optional.

@MM13they are counting on you to not know any better.  It's against the law to ask race on employment applications.  It doesn't matter that it's online either.  If you want to be employed by a company who flouts the laws, then I wish you good luck in securing the job.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Super Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@MM13 wrote:

@MM13they are counting on you to not know any better.  It's against the law to ask race on employment applications.  It doesn't matter that it's online either.  If you want to be employed by a company who flouts the laws, then I wish you good luck in securing the job.

Well, they called for an interview. While it would be nice to pick and choose companies for whom I'd like to work, I don't have much of a choice. When you need a job, you have to take what you can get sometimes.

Regular Contributor

If you get called for an interview, how about asking the interviewer how old they are?

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset    that is the way you read it but not me.  This is what companies do.  I am on no  one's side just stating facts.

@KatCat1 wrote:

@gertrudecloset   You absolutely read my comment wrong.  I blame the co and rules they follow and that is how it works.

It sure doesn't read that way @KatCat1 .  It appears that you tried to make a case for reverse discrimination.  The only ones who can discriminate is the employer.  Blaming the lack of available jobs on protected classes because of their minority status is a cop out.  Let the employers do what is right.  Hire based on solely based on best fit for the job.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    Let's hope so.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MM13 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@MM13 wrote:

Well, they called for an interview. While it would be nice to pick and choose companies for whom I'd like to work, I don't have much of a choice. When you need a job, you have to take what you can get sometimes.

@MM13on this we agree.  The older you get ~ the harder it gets.  I would accept the job too (but I would report them anonymously).  That's just me though.

If you need this job, I hope you get it.  For sure.  You're not responsible for their ignorance of the law.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 -- applying for secretarial jobs in the late 60's - 70's.   Prior to the EEOC, employers/interviewers were allowed to pry into all parts of a woman's life before and after she was hired.   Makes me chuckle a little when someone now complains that someone asked her age.  

I don't know what they asked males, but I assume the process was much more respectful.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt