Respected Contributor

Re: Asking People to Self-quarantine?

@ jikz
I agree that the „me first“ has been ramping up over the years. It certainly was not the WWII generation that did without. It had always bugged me when I see people disregard instructions to „put away electronic devices“, stand in line, etc just because they think they are exceptions to the rule. Youngsters see this and a pattern is set.
In this Situation, the ripple effect across businesses, schools, etc is spreading. I understand when someone is unaware, but in this case it was practically a given positive and family was so selfish.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@denisemb wrote:

A priest in the Washington, D.C. area has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Google for story. 

Yep. He gave Communion to and shook hands with more than 550 people, I read. Anyone who went there between Feb 24 - this past weekend was asked to self-quarantine. Chuch is cancelled for the first time since the 1800s.  

Honored Contributor

There was also this ... An Uber driver in New York tested positive for the virus

How many people did he/she have contact with?  I heard it on our news this morning and since it was NY I wan't really paying attention.  Sorry to my NY friends, but I didn't.

Self-quarantine is almost impossible for some people.  They don't have employers that "help them" out.  They may have to work or they have no money to pay their bills or feed their families.  They may be the sole provider and can't just put everything down to take care of a cold, flu, or something else until they know for sure what they have.  

DH and I are lucky in the fact that we have/had time to take off 14+ days if something like this happens.  I'm retired so it doesn't matter to me, but DH is still working and after 3 days off it is mandatory to present a doctors statement in order for them to approve time off.  He may not be able to see his Dr. if they have asked him to self-quaratine due to his symptoms.

Many people don't even earn sick time or vacation time.  They are a no show (no matter the reason) they are out of a job... period.  

Some take advantage and say, "Sure, I'll stay home, relax and have people come to me."  No thought about what they may be doing to their own friends, family, delivery drivers, etc.  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

It's really not much different from other flus.  People get the flu every year and go to work and out in the public.  

I've been vaccinated against the seasonal flu and if my vaccine doesn't work or was weak, I can go to the doctor and get a prescription for Tamiflu. And if I go to the doctor and the pharmacy and most of the people there have also been vaccinated, there's less risk that they will get the virus from me.

There is no vaccine for Covid-19. There is no Tamiflu for Covid-19.

Those are considerable differences.

Honored Contributor

A doctor on the news today made a good point. He said we have very effective flu vaccines, but only 50% of people get them each year...so if we get a vaccine for the coronavirus....what guarantee is there that everyone will get one? There will always be those who think they are impervious to any and all disease. Those who never get the flu shot and have never had the flu are just lucky, not superhuman.
Honored Contributor

There should be more caution reminders regarding children as well as the elderly in the reporting on this health crisis. Have been surprised so little mention of babies and small children as those who may be vulnerable to this virus; it has been almost exclusively older people.
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
A doctor on the news today made a good point. He said we have very effective flu vaccines, but only 50% of people get them each year...so if we get a vaccine for the coronavirus....what guarantee is there that everyone will get one? There will always be those who think they are impervious to any and all disease. Those who never get the flu shot and have never had the flu are just lucky, not superhuman.

Of course there are no guarantees everyone would get a new vaccine. But I could get one and encourage everyone I care about to get one, the same way I do with the flu vaccine. 

Vaccines aren't about guarantees - they never were. Even someone with a vaccine can get the flu. Vaccines are about being proactive instead of reactive and about the social contract. If I want to live in a civilization, I need to take precautions to help keep myself and others safe by getting vaccinated because some people cannot get vaccinated.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess

Children and babies do not seem to contract the virus but researchers do not yet know why.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
@lovesrecess

Children and babies do not seem to contract the virus but researchers do not yet know why.

@bikerbabe, from what I understand, if they do get it, it is very mild. In fact, children could have and be asymptomatic. That is good for them but not for those of us in contact with babies or children.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I read some hysteria in some of the posts snidely asking whether we should all stay home.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that, certainly not at this point.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland