Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asking People to Self-quarantine?

@Johnnyeager wrote:

In most states there is the ability for a State Department of Health to issue a legally enforceable order to maintain quarantine.  This usually would happen after the suggested quarantine was known to be violated.

They had to do this with the guy who went to that Dartmouth function after being told to self isolate.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

It's really not much different from other flus.  People get the flu every year and go to work and out in the public.  

@rms1954 

'....other flus..'

You DO realize COVID-19 is much different than Influenza, yes?

@sidsmom, I swear if I hear or read one more person talk about this being the flu I'm going to lose my mind.

Same goes for those who act like if everyone just washes their hands, everything will be okay.  

For the love of all things holy people, inform yourselves and not by garbage you see on FB or conspiracy theorist blogs.  

@Lipstickdiva 

RE: Flu

Oooos.  
Don't go to Twitter because a message has already been sent to millions of people j.u.s.t this morning.

RE: Hand washing

Not going to discount hand washing or call it a 'conspiracy theory.'

Thoroughout human history, simple actions work.

What keeps us alive is correct information...words matter.
It is one of 4 important actions American Citizens can do without cost.

These actions have been recommended for all viruses:

• Hand washing for 20 seconds
  • Not touching face, mouth, eyes
  • Sneeze into tissue/elbow
  • Stay away from environments to further spread
Honored Contributor

My niece was on FB making fun of someone that had self-quarantined themselves and was on the news via Skype.

According to her, they hadn't been tested so to self-quarantine was only adding to the hysteria. 

My thoughts were maybe they had been exposed and were just doing the right thing.

She did a walk back when I called her out on it because she is not without a serious health issue.  How funny would she think it was if this person was out and about infecting her and her three kids.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The more I read of these threads, the more I’ve sadly come to see that there are many, many people who WANT to see a horrible pandemic, who WANT to see the world economy in disarray, who WANT to see the markets collapse, who WANT to see government enforced isolation and who WANT to see shortages of goods. They thrive on disaster. And that’s just sick and twisted.

I have great empathy for those who have conditions that put them at far greater risk than others. You do what you need to do to protect yourself from getting sick, but I would think you’d do that anyway. However; I WILL NOT tolerate being bullied and told that I’m selfish because my situation is different and I don’t need to be isolated or change my routine. Life is a series of risks. I’ve carefully assessed the situation and have made decisions that are appropriate for me. We’re all different. You do you, I’ll do me. 

Other than to say say that at this point, I believe the Q should ban further discussion of this topic as it certainly is fraught with inaccuracies and emotion, rather than measured, reasonable thinking, I’m out on this subject. This is not a healthy space to be in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom 

Where do you think the rampant attitude you described came from ?  

This is the result of the chaos in the 60's where Me first, disrespect for authority, etc, etc which touched all parts of society.

Quite sad, especially  after the sacrifices of the Greatest Generation.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1   The only inaccuracies are those that think this virus that has spread rapidly elsewhere is not going to do so here soon since some are ignoring common sense things.  You can do what you want - for now - but if it speads as quickly as in other countries everything could change drastically and then it's too late to say I should not have gone on that cruise or flight or went to that festival, etc.    What the CDC is saying is to avoid crowds and traveling, etc until more is known about how to contain this.  It's a fact that this spreads quickly and just doing some simple things until it's contained is not too much to ask!!   Once it takes hold here it will be harder to stop the spread so why not take precautions now for a bit?  

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

iF I had the VIRUS I would stay home in isolation.  BUT how do any of us know if we were exposed, if we have this disease?  Not enough useful information that would guide us to make the right decisions.  

Personally I am going on with my life... my vacations..  my dance festivals..

And yes a rant.. I am tired of being told about the Elderly.  I WILL ELDERLY ANYWHERE I WANT. HECK THOSE WHO KNOW ME KNOW I AM ONLY 12.  State of mind trust me.  

It's not solely about the elderly (just for their protection since it could be more severe for them)so  go on enjoying your life with no worries.   

Until it's contained and more is known you could have spread this to thousands even though you  had no symptoms!!  Put your wants above others' health!!

So do you want everybody to stay home and see if we have the virus?  Talk about an economy tanking and putting people out of work, and businesses failing.  Not necessary to do so.

Respected Contributor

the CDC @Pook wrote:

@FrostyBabe1   The only inaccuracies are those that think this virus that has spread rapidly elsewhere is not going to do so here soon since some are ignoring common sense things.  You can do what you want - for now - but if it speads as quickly as in other countries everything could change drastically and then it's too late to say I should not have gone on that cruise or flight or went to that festival, etc.    What the CDC is saying is to avoid crowds and traveling, etc until more is known about how to contain this.  It's a fact that this spreads quickly and just doing some simple things until it's contained is not too much to ask!!   Once it takes hold here it will be harder to stop the spread so why not take precautions now for a bit?  

The CDC has NOT said that travel should be avoided. It has said that certain areas of the world should be avoided and that certain, at risk individuals should consider postponing travel. I’ve read the info. I don’t rely on a shopping board forum to pass on info that’s slanted, as your comments are, to try and sway people.  If you have a reason to stay home and isolate yourself, that’s up to you. I know what is appropriate for me. 

And that is truly my final comment on this issue. I prefer facts to emotion, supposition and jumping from point A to ZZZ with only “the sky is falling” as logic. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Short of a complete lockdown with no public/emergency services, people interact with each other.

If you are sick stay home

If you are not sick, wash you hands, get a good nights sleep, eat right and live your life.

If you are paniced, worried, stressed isolate yourself.  Whatever makes you feel better, but do not expect others to follow your lead or be responsible for you.

@CrazyDaisy   I certainly DO expect others, in this case, to be cognizant of their health and if showing any symptoms of a common cold get checked out and stay away from others. This is an epidemic.

@Shanus :  Check the CDC's website for the definition of an epidemic.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A priest in the Washington, D.C. area has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Google for story. 

Denise