Honored Contributor

Re: Asking People to Self-quarantine?

@happycat wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Then we have employers who will fire employees for taking off work.  I worked for an employer like that and the company even had sick days.  You just couldn't use them unless you were in the hospital or half dead.

Also, many people live pay check to paycheck and taking time off from work will cause them to become homeless. They have no benefits.

Yes, people should think of others, but unfortunately, it isn't always possible to do what you know you should do, but can't.

You make very good points. I think employers who don't let employees take sick time should get in big trouble, coronavirus or not.

I agree. So many people don't have sick leave and work for companies that even when they do, punish for it's use. 

But this was a social event. That many people didn't need to be exposed for a social event. It would be bad enough if the guy lived paycheck to paycheck and was trying to make a living going to work, but this was just dumb. 

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Here's an update to March 7 report of COVID-19 in Gilroy, CA

The CDC contacted the Gilroy Fire Department to inform them that a patient, previously identified as testing positive for COVID-19, is now confirmed as testing NEGATIVE for the disease. Due to the negative test result, the Gilroy Fire crew, which had been placed under medical surveillance following the possible exposure to this patient, has been released from surveillance.

I've wondered from the beginning how accurate the testing is. Not saying it is or isn't, just wondering in general because of it being new, the labs getting overrun, etc. just how accurate tesing is at this point in time.

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:
JJsMom wrote:
sharke wrote:

Senator Ted Cruz has done just that. I saw on CNN tonight

He's lucky to be able to self-quarantine and not worry about his job. Too bad this thing has been treated as a hoax. Maybe now that the markets are crashing they will take it seriously.

Fact: The coronavirus itself, was never called or treated as a hoax. 

Fact: I never said the coronavirus itself was called a hoax. The hoax reference was to downplay the severity of the issue and not take responsibility for failing to stay on top of this. Do you agree with how our leaders are handling this? I think a lot of people are rightfully concerned and have little confidence in our leadership should this become widespread. Don't tell me they have not been downplaying this and giving mixed messages.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

It's really not much different from other flus.  People get the flu every year and go to work and out in the public.  

@rms1954   CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu. 

Eleven pediatric deaths were reported this past week bringing the total to 136.

( https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm )

@Marp   I don't "this" is catagorized as just a contagious flu. It's a very dangerous virus.

@Shanus,  I am well aware of that.  My response was to point out how dangerous "other flus" are as the bolded statement seemed intended to minimize the danger of both flu and covid-19. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Short of a complete lockdown with no public/emergency services, people interact with each other.

If you are sick stay home

If you are not sick, wash you hands, get a good nights sleep, eat right and live your life.

If you are paniced, worried, stressed isolate yourself.  Whatever makes you feel better, but do not expect others to follow your lead or be responsible for you.

@CrazyDaisy   I certainly DO expect others, in this case, to be cognizant of their health and if showing any symptoms of a common cold get checked out and stay away from others. This is an epidemic.

Esteemed Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:
JJsMom wrote:
sharke wrote:

Senator Ted Cruz has done just that. I saw on CNN tonight

He's lucky to be able to self-quarantine and not worry about his job. Too bad this thing has been treated as a hoax. Maybe now that the markets are crashing they will take it seriously.

Fact: The coronavirus itself, was never called or treated as a hoax. 

Fact: I never said the coronavirus itself was called a hoax. The hoax reference was to downplay the severity of the issue and not take responsibility for failing to stay on top of this. Do you agree with how our leaders are handling this? I think a lot of people are rightfully concerned and have little confidence in our leadership should this become widespread. Don't tell me they have not been downplaying this and giving mixed messages.

Next week is the primary in this State, currently political rallies are scheduled, workers have been canvasing neighborhoods.  Seems they would want those people around in the fall to vote for them

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Short of a complete lockdown with no public/emergency services, people interact with each other.

If you are sick stay home

If you are not sick, wash you hands, get a good nights sleep, eat right and live your life.

If you are paniced, worried, stressed isolate yourself.  Whatever makes you feel better, but do not expect others to follow your lead or be responsible for you.

@CrazyDaisy   I certainly DO expect others, in this case, to be cognizant of their health and if showing any symptoms of a common cold get checked out and stay away from others. This is an epidemic.

Unrealistic expectations will always disappoint.  If you are so concerned isolate yourself and keep yourself safe.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

It doesn't surprise me that people are going to behave selfishly.  Why would anyone be surprised?  People are people, they are not going to change just because there's new influenza virus out there.  There are no legal requirements regarding self quarantines, it's just a suggestion and people are free to comply or not to comply.  

Esteemed Contributor

In most states there is the ability for a State Department of Health to issue a legally enforceable order to maintain quarantine.  This usually would happen after the suggested quarantine was known to be violated.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

Here's an update to March 7 report of COVID-19 in Gilroy, CA

The CDC contacted the Gilroy Fire Department to inform them that a patient, previously identified as testing positive for COVID-19, is now confirmed as testing NEGATIVE for the disease. Due to the negative test result, the Gilroy Fire crew, which had been placed under medical surveillance following the possible exposure to this patient, has been released from surveillance.

I've wondered from the beginning how accurate the testing is. Not saying it is or isn't, just wondering in general because of it being new, the labs getting overrun, etc. just how accurate t is at this point in time.

@Mominohioat the start, the CDC decided to use their own test and messed it up and had to redo the test.  That probably delayed testing here for a bit.  CDC calls it missteps but they could have used the WHO test right from the start.  CDC certainly could be criticized in some areas for their handling of this.