Valued Contributor

Asked to be a house guest with family, etc.??

As a reverse to current postings, I've been ASKED to visit both a relative and my boyfriend's parents!  FYI it would just be me going, no kids, pets, etc. (I'm low maintenance and my pets don't travel with me!)

Regarding the family member, we're not that super close, but always get along when I see them at family gatherings every now and again.  She's asked me several times to come out to see her (she lives in tourist area).  I'm actually thinking of taking her up on the offer.....what do you suggest I bring/do to reciprocate staying there for a few days? 

My boyfriend's family live 1000 miles away, he sees them twice a year. I've now been asked to go along or I'm thinking maybe a few days if I can get away from work obligations (he goes for 2 weeks each time- I'm self employed so if I'm off...I don't get paid or make money).  He alternates staying with his parents and brother and his family (who both live close to each other) and it's in a VERY popular tourist/vacation destination town/area.  What are your suggestions I do/bring for this to thank them for allowing me to stay (both parents and brother's family)? Also in a few months time....

All suggestions welcome!!  Thanks! I want to be polite and thank them all for being so generous in allowing me to stay with them!  Both places I've been promised food besides a place to stay.

And YES, thank you notes will follow the stay as well!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Asked to be a house guest with family, etc.??

With your family member I would take her out to lunch or dinner as a thank you, and send flowers after you get home.  Boyfriend's family sounds larger and far away.....I'll be curious to see what suggestions you get.  It's hard to bring wine, etc. if you are flying.  

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict

a small gift is always appropriate......something that the woman may like, in particular. could be personal, could be something for the home.

i always like it when guests take ME and the family out for a lunch or dinner while they are here.....or sometimes volunteer to cook a meal or two. that way i am not always stuck in the kitchen ( i usually do take them out one evening also..... a break for me and a chance for them to get out also.) many of our guests go off on their own for the day to do sightseeing or other activities that they enjoy.

have fun on your visits!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That means a lot of nice things about you, @sometimesQVC addict. 

I agree with the poster who suggests a meal--I think dinner out for your relative.  If it's longer than a day or two, suggest that you maybe take her to a movie also.  I'd send a small gift after the trip also depending on anything you learn about what she might like during the visit.

For your boyfriend's family, you might both like to visit using a hotel for a few days (so he can then stay with them on the days you're not there). Though not using their home as a base. you can still hang out and treat them to a dinner.  I am pretty cautious about first visits.

Esteemed Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict, it sounds like you have lots of travel in your future.  I never stay with anyone when visiting and I consider that my biggest gift to them.  I also take them out to dinner; and, for elderly relatives, I usually buy groceries and fix dinner.

So, for your family, out for at least one meal, flowers after you get home with a nice thank you note.

For your SO's familiy, he should be the one taking them out to dinner.  Find out ahead of time about their eating preferences.  You might take some type of food that is from your area if they enjoy that.  Or, stop and get a nice bottle of wine before arriving at their home.  Another option might be a set of flameless candles.  If no allergies, send flowers to them when you get home, along with a thank you note.

If I am visiting someone, since I like to bake, I usually make something that I think they will like.  We have a long-time friend who lives quite a distance from us.  When we visit him, I take challah bread, his favorite.  For most people, I take homemade pizzelles.   These are things that people either cannot get or do not for themselves.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddictI do hope you can make the trips.  THEY asked and from your post, I'd say you'd make a great guest.

When I have house guests, I've always happy for a meal I don't have to plan or cook, so I agree with all the suggestions to do lunch or dinner out, even breakfast esp. if there are weekend days involved.  That's a big deal in my tourist area. 

Respected Contributor

Take them out for a meal, or pay for takeout, even if it's a pizza.

Send a lovely thank you note and gift- plant etc.

While you are there offer to help with clean up.

Frequent Contributor

I just returned from a trip with a friend, staying at her aunt's house.   I do stained glass and made a piece using her favorite color. It's difficult when you don't know their likes, dislikes etc. She drove us every day to different tourist sites, fortunately I was able to buy her a tank of gas ( I had to bolt from the car to do it!). She travels and does not need anything such as plants to care for, nor does she enjoy cut flowers, and does not eat desserts. She was a joy to meet and spend time with, I hope your travels are as enjoyable as mine!

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict Take them out for a meal at their favorite place.  Kill two birds with one stone.....when we have house guests it is much appreciated.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

I don't have any suggestions about what to bring as a gift when you arrive, but you definitely should send flowers or a plant after you get to your home.