Respected Contributor

Re: Ask Me No Questions and I Tell You No Lies

As @JaneMarple said, I would never say anything negative if asked about someone's hair, fashion, cooking, etc.   I try to treat people as I wish to be treated.  

If someone asks a question on a forum such as this...sure I'll give my opinion.  I've found, though, that some people have already made their choice/decision...and are just looking for validation for what they did or think.  If they don't get that, they think people are being mean.  

I guess it's a learning curve...which posters to avoid!!  But under normal circumstances, differences in opinions are inevitable and should be able to be discussed without rancor.  

Honored Contributor

If they don't want an honest opinon, why ask for one?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I dont' think it is always the opinion that isn't well received, it is the method of delivery. There are either kind ways or more neutral ways to give an opinion that you know may not be well received.

Doesn't have to be sugar coated, but if done with supporting facts or reasons, and still not accepted, a real opinion or honest input was never what was really being sought anyway.

@Mominohio wrote:

I dont' think it is always the opinion that isn't well received, it is the method of delivery. There are either kind ways or more neutral ways to give an opinion that you know may not be well received.

Doesn't have to be sugar coated, but if done with supporting facts or reasons, and still not accepted, a real opinion or honest input was never what was really being sought anyway.

Do opinions always have to have "supporting facts"?  Sometimes opinions are just feelings about things.

I think sometimes questions and opinions are given in a hostile way, and those are usually responded to in kind.  And sometimes people are just cranky and answer in a combative way because of their own issues, having nothing whatever to do with what was said.

No, but much of the time there are facts, or statistics or past experiences that will support one's opinon on something. And when you can present such "facts" to someone to support/explain your opinion, it may be better received, or at least given some thought because it is more than a simple opinion with no supporting content.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple I think of you as a strong confident and self assured person so I know that you can take what comes your way.Many here seem to be very fragile and therefore can't always handle what they may determine to be an attack on them.

Honored Contributor

If the opinons of strangers on a board ,is too much for someone, it might be in their own best interest not to start a thread

Honored Contributor

Certainly there are appropriate ways to reply with opinions...agree or disagree...without attacking the one who's asking for it. 

On these forums, I've met some nice people who have learned the "golden rule" and can answer the question at hand or address the subject w/o coming at me personally.

There are some posters that I've learned to avoid because their replies are always personally aimed at me and I sometimes don't think they even read the post...just saw my name and let the nastiness fly freely. 

Although I seems to be "sport" to some to annoy and belittle, I try to keep my posts/replies, unless repeatedly provoked, aimed at the subject and not at the poster. 

Wouldn't it be refreshing to be able to speak our minds freely and not be met by snarky remarks? 

The OP never begins a post w/ the intention of insighting a riot, but sometimes one ensues anyway. Posts are usually stating a fact & asking for factual feedback or asking a question for discussion purposes. 

I've yet to see a post that begins "I have something to say and would like it to be answered with venom, personal assault & unkindness".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Do opinions always have to have "supporting facts"?  Sometimes opinions are just feelings about things.

I think sometimes questions and opinions are given in a hostile way, and those are usually responded to in kind.  And sometimes people are just cranky and answer in a combative way because of their own issues, having nothing whatever to do with what was said.

No, but much of the time there are facts, or statistics or past experiences that will support one's opinon on something. And when you can present such "facts" to someone to support/explain your opinion, it may be better received, or at least given some thought because it is more than a simple opinion with no supporting content.

I don't know.  I have seen so many instances of people just ignoring "facts"  or question those "facts", just because they want to argue.   And then the "supporting facts" war ensues.  That can just exacerbate the situation.

But, honestly, if I say I don't like a particular film (for example), I don't think I need to support that opinion with anything.  Or if I don't like a pair of shoes.  Or peppermint.   But you see people on this board argue about that kind of stuff, rather than just accepting that someone doesn't like ankle straps on a shoe or 3/4 sleeves on a top.

Honored Contributor

@cherry. I don't agree w/ that statement. The point of these forums is to be able to begin a thread or reply to one and not feel they have to be fearful of responses.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  its all part of the cyber space posting. Thats why it's best not to post anything too personal

Honored Contributor

@dex. If it looks like a skunk, smells like a skunk, it's most likely a skunk.  It also stands to reason that if someone feels attacked, it was an attack to them & their feelings can't and shouldn't be discounted.

If someone is "fragile", we don't know that because we don't know each other here. Maybe it's best to just not "attack" anyone. That doesn't mean not to give your opinion, but don't make it a personal affront.