Honored Contributor

Re: Ask Me No Questions and I Tell You No Lies

I'm very familar with the adage but it doesn't fit here, posters who think they have it all covered.........well they don't plain and simple.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Anyone remember this saying? I believe in it strongly, if you want my opinion or answer please don't expect it to be the answer you want it to be.

I can take criticism when I ask a question so why can't many other people?

@JaneMarple

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson(sp?), in the movie "A Few Good Men", because they can't handle the truth.

Or because they aren't looking for the truth, because there is no truth, just a pot and a spoon.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple

ita with you, but i've seen posters not give just their opinion.  they go for the jugular. they go out of their way to question the o/p's honesty and motives.  they treat them shamefully.  they get a lot of pleasure out of tormenting others.

there are several threads started to cause trouble, but i just bypass them.

Honored Contributor

I think many who post here want or expect others to agree with what they ask.  The few that really do want honest opinions are easy to spot due to the wording.  

Respected Contributor

From what I have seen on these boards, no matter what one says or how they say it, it is bound to offend someone. Then every word is carefully analyzed by the board psychologists.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

After reading some of the responses, I had to go back to remind myself of what Jane Marple's question was.

Some people just have a need to be right about everything.  That's not peculiar to this board, it's just life.

Honored Contributor

I dont' think it is always the opinion that isn't well received, it is the method of delivery. There are either kind ways or more neutral ways to give an opinion that you know may not be well received.

Doesn't have to be sugar coated, but if done with supporting facts or reasons, and still not accepted, a real opinion or honest input was never what was really being sought anyway.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Questions like, "Do I look fat?"................??????    Would you really tell me?

@Desertdi

If I was truly your friend I would!Heart

If I asked that question (or a similar one), I'm asking for the truth!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Anyone remember this saying? I believe in it strongly, if you want my opinion or answer please don't expect it to be the answer you want it to be.

I can take criticism when I ask a question so why can't many other people?

@JaneMarple

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson(sp?), in the movie "A Few Good Men", because they can't handle the truth.

Or because they aren't looking for the truth, because there is no truth, just a pot and a spoon.

@Moonchilde

You mean like this?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I dont' think it is always the opinion that isn't well received, it is the method of delivery. There are either kind ways or more neutral ways to give an opinion that you know may not be well received.

Doesn't have to be sugar coated, but if done with supporting facts or reasons, and still not accepted, a real opinion or honest input was never what was really being sought anyway.

@Mominohio wrote:

Do opinions always have to have "supporting facts"?  Sometimes opinions are just feelings about things.

I think sometimes questions and opinions are given in a hostile way, and those are usually responded to in kind.  And sometimes people are just cranky and answer in a combative way because of their own issues, having nothing whatever to do with what was said.