Valued Contributor

Ashleigh Banfield on CNN This Morning

[ Edited ]

I'm watching CNN this morning with Ashleigh Banfield.  I like her as an anchor.  But, this morning, she is wearing such a low cut top that her cleavage is out there and it looks terrible.  Where is the decorum anymore for news people on TV?  

She's got a great job. She should dress professionally.   I couldn't dress like that in my former office!   I see women news anchors in tops that with their long hair covering the straps, makes them look like they are wearing beachwear!   Some local TV anchors dress more professionally!

They don't have to be in a business suit, but please.   We don't need to see your cha cha's.   Dress with some respect for the job you have and the people who are watching and trying to take you seriously.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ashleigh Banfield on CNN This Morning

I agree, but duck and cover. I posted pretty much the same thing about Christina on The Voice this year, and had my head handed to me.

I don't give a hoot about your right to dress how you wish, the human body isn't shameful etc. etc. etc.  I get tired of seeing everything a lady has to offer in celebs and TV personalities these days. 

Show us what you've got with your skills, talents, brains and personality, and keep the rest of it for another place and time.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I agree, but duck and cover. I posted pretty much the same thing about Christina on The Voice this year, and had my head handed to me.

I don't give a hoot about your right to dress how you wish, the human body isn't shameful etc. etc. etc.  I get tired of seeing everything a lady has to offer in celebs and TV personalities these days. 

Show us what you've got with your skills, talents, brains and personality, and keep the rest of it for another place and time.

IMO a lady has much more to offer than the body parts you are talking about.  So they are by no means "everything" if she is showing them.   

Not that I approve of a news anchor showing cleavage.  I just don't think that's dressing professionally.  There may be a place for that at a cocktail party, but not while conveying news to the public, esp. serious news.

Honored Contributor

Maybe she's trying to compete for the male viewers of another cable channelSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We have a local news anchor who used to dress professionally. "The Powers That Be" must have gotten to her. Now she dresses like she's going to a formal event after - ALWAYS sleeveless, cleavage, tight dress, lots of leg when she stands, and high, high heels. I think is just the way things are going to be from now on. Smiley Frustrated

Valued Contributor

Unprofessional in my opinion, but I was raised in different times (I'm 62)

I also feel this way about bank employees who wear non-business attire.

Respected Contributor

It does not bother me in the least.

BTW:  the dang banner that they use 99% of the time on the show covers everything up anyway, lol.

(hate the banner)

Honored Contributor

I was watching and didn't even notice. *shrug*

I can honestly say that only once in my life have I noticed a news anchor's cleavage and that was Erin Burnett right after she had a baby and bam those pups were OUT there, lol.

I don't sweat the small stuff though.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a Fox news watcher, but from what I see when channel surfing, Meghan Kelly looks professional and tasteful.  

I don't want to see some male news anchor either with his shirt wide open and his chest hair showing like Simon Cowell!    

We live in this Kardashian culture now where flaunting ourselves is the norm.   Ashleigh is a seasoned news person, she should know better.  She could be wearing short shorts under the news desk, who cares, but what she wears on screen reflects on her and the network.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

We have a local news anchor who used to dress professionally. "The Powers That Be" must have gotten to her. Now she dresses like she's going to a formal event after - ALWAYS sleeveless, cleavage, tight dress, lots of leg when she stands, and high, high heels. I think is just the way things are going to be from now on. Smiley Frustrated

I don't know a thing about broadcast journalism, but have noticed over the years, that even when it is January, snowing and blowing, the female anchors in the cold climates even, are wearing sleeveless dresses. I see this at the local and the national level.

I'm assuming those studio lights are hot, but the men still wear complete suits, so what gives with that? Is is simply a comfort thing because they are warm and can go sleeveless, or are they being encouraged to dress that way to attract viewers?

Most of the national anchors I see are sleeveless, but not big on showing much clevage, though.