Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Ashleigh Banfield on CNN This Morning

@HappyDaze wrote:

@shoekitty I have to disagree with your statement that Kayleigh can't articulate well. I think she does great and holds her own up there and even though all the other ladies and guys up there constantly laugh at her,  roll their eyes at her and constantly interrupt her, she doesn't let them get her riled up.  They really treat her like krap and are very disrespectful to her and it is very unprofessional.  I think it is terrible how they basically set up her for failure by having everyone else up there be anti-trump and gang up on her. I honestly don't know why she puts up with it.

I am not even saying I am a Trump fan but I like Kayleigh and I think she is intelligent and beautiful and I haven't really noticed her outfits to be too sexy at all- in fact, not that I really paid attention but thinking back on it, I always thinks she looked very respectable and professional but yes, also womanly because she has a nice figure (should she have to cover her figure up with a baggy or unflattering outfit??). I guess I've never really noticed anyone's cleavage except one time Erin B's after her baby but I pay more attention to what they are saying than their outfits, just like I don't pay much attention to the men's outfits either.

Shoekitty said

I do take back about Kayleigh wearing "sexy" outfits. Her outfits are made to be noticed, as is her hair and make up.   I actually never have seen her in a low cut or inappropriate outfit EVER.  I guess I didn't word it as well as I could, but she is an example to me of how the networks portray women on the newsThat was my point.  Perhaps i should have not mentioned her specifically.  But, what is done is done! Even the men are dressed super trendy, yet smart  and well dressed.  She is a attractive lady, but repeats her arguments over and over.  You can tell she is embarrassed at times, that she is saying something she isn't really adamant about...but it is all in the game.  I still don't care for her.  Notice next time...the whole panels will be in sedate clothing, yet they have her in canary yellow, magenta, and cobalt, and is over made up.  If you look at her website and other pics of her, she does not wear that make up as a rule.  Only on the show.  I just used her as an example of network sexism at work, but it isn't just her... it is blatant on ever network and every news show. 

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I am 68 , and can remember fighting for women's rights.

I remember when men could, and did pat your behind in the work place.

I can remember when a man would get way more money than a women who had twice as much seniority and experience...because she "really didn't need the money" like a man did.  I remember vividly women being sexually harassed, and even fired or "let go" at will because she wouldn't "play the game", or wasn't fast pouring the coffee for the boss.

I remember when sexual comments to women went unpunished, and were encouraged  I remember how hard it was for women to be taken seriously.  They would never be asked opinions on politics, because that was a man's job.  It was not common for a women to be a news anchor, a doctor, lawyer.  Most women could hope for no more than to find a husband, or be a file clerk, librarian, secretary, teacher.  I remember in the 70's my friend who had worked as a 3rd grade teacher for 4 years, being denied a raise, but the new male teacher being hired at a salary way higher than hers.  When she asked, they said, "he has a family, he needs the check".  She was married without kids yet.  But they considered her working just a job before she had kids.

With all that women have attained the last 45+ years, it is hard    younger women  to realize what has been fought for them.  They just haven't experienced the "women can't do that" mentality to the fullest.

I am all for looking great, womanly but geesh...this boobie thing for ratings has gone to far.  To me it is like you can look even sexier and more beautiful..PLUS look bright, intelligent on top of the game..... with clothes.  IMO, it is kind of like the difference between a beautiful one piece bathing suit, and a bikini.  Sometimes the one piece looks more attractive because of with holding back just that little bit of skin, LOL  Hard to explain, but I hope you get my drift.

What offends me is how men still victimize women on news shows.  Take the Anderson Cooper 360 show panel. (LOVE< LOVE LOVE him)   Okay, they put the platinum blond in bright sex(y outfits, lots of make up, and give her the job where she looks like a "dumb blond", and she is a Harvard lawyer)  We know she has brains, and has to be a hard worker.  But the way she appears she lessens her strength as a viable oponant.  I can hardly stomach her, and it embarresses me they way she appears next to her debate equals. .  Then the other women that aren't maybe quite as pretty the opportunity to be articulate, intelligent and well informed..  You know that Kayleigh chick can't articulate well, but she looks good.  I am embarrassed for her.  But she wears the cute , sexy clothes and has the blond hair for the men.  Dress for success.If you dress confidently, it shows.   JMHO and nothing else

You were doing so well until the second to last paragraph where you completely sabotaged what was an excellent train of thought.  The point you seemed to be about to make, but missed, was that the women who you spoke about it up to that point were pioneers for equal rights for women.  They fought for equal treatment in the workplace, and although we still have a long way to go, they made great strides by calling attention to the way they were treated and by fighting for respect.  Instead you dragged us back about 50 years by criticizing how the modern, professional woman dresses or suggest that there are alterior motives behind their wardrobe choices.  When you suggest this, you are no better than the guy who slaps their rear ends, or terminates them for not being pretty enough.  It's kind of like saying that it was great that the women's suffrage movement happened, but women these days should really just listen to their husbands and vote as the men do.  

The real point is, if you're going to invoke the past struggles of the equal rights movement, you should celebrate the strides that we've made and be proud of the women who are products of that movement.  As many in this thread have pointed out, there was nothing wrong with Ashleigh Banfield's outfit.  I watch all the news stations, and I've never seen anything wrong with these women's wardrobes. To say "we fought hard for respect, so button up" disacknowledges progress, and reinforces the ideals that we struggled so hard to unbind ourselves from so many years ago.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I am 68 , and can remember fighting for women's rights.

I remember when men could, and did pat your behind in the work place.

I can remember when a man would get way more money than a women who had twice as much seniority and experience...because she "really didn't need the money" like a man did.  I remember vividly women being sexually harassed, and even fired or "let go" at will because she wouldn't "play the game", or wasn't fast pouring the coffee for the boss.

I remember when sexual comments to women went unpunished, and were encouraged  I remember how hard it was for women to be taken seriously.  They would never be asked opinions on politics, because that was a man's job.  It was not common for a women to be a news anchor, a doctor, lawyer.  Most women could hope for no more than to find a husband, or be a file clerk, librarian, secretary, teacher.  I remember in the 70's my friend who had worked as a 3rd grade teacher for 4 years, being denied a raise, but the new male teacher being hired at a salary way higher than hers.  When she asked, they said, "he has a family, he needs the check".  She was married without kids yet.  But they considered her working just a job before she had kids.

With all that women have attained the last 45+ years, it is hard    younger women  to realize what has been fought for them.  They just haven't experienced the "women can't do that" mentality to the fullest.

I am all for looking great, womanly but geesh...this boobie thing for ratings has gone to far.  To me it is like you can look even sexier and more beautiful..PLUS look bright, intelligent on top of the game..... with clothes.  IMO, it is kind of like the difference between a beautiful one piece bathing suit, and a bikini.  Sometimes the one piece looks more attractive because of with holding back just that little bit of skin, LOL  Hard to explain, but I hope you get my drift.

What offends me is how men still victimize women on news shows.  Take the Anderson Cooper 360 show panel. (LOVE< LOVE LOVE him)   Okay, they put the platinum blond in bright sex(y outfits, lots of make up, and give her the job where she looks like a "dumb blond", and she is a Harvard lawyer)  We know she has brains, and has to be a hard worker.  But the way she appears she lessens her strength as a viable oponant.  I can hardly stomach her, and it embarresses me they way she appears next to her debate equals. .  Then the other women that aren't maybe quite as pretty the opportunity to be articulate, intelligent and well informed..  You know that Kayleigh chick can't articulate well, but she looks good.  I am embarrassed for her.  But she wears the cute , sexy clothes and has the blond hair for the men.  Dress for success.If you dress confidently, it shows.   JMHO and nothing else

You were doing so well until the second to last paragraph where you completely sabotaged what was an excellent train of thought.  The point you seemed to be about to make, but missed, was that the women who you spoke about it up to that point were pioneers for equal rights for women.  They fought for equal treatment in the workplace, and although we still have a long way to go, they made great strides by calling attention to the way they were treated and by fighting for respect.  Instead you dragged us back about 50 years by criticizing how the modern, professional woman dresses or suggest that there are alterior motives behind their wardrobe choices.  When you suggest this, you are no better than the guy who slaps their rear ends, or terminates them for not being pretty enough.  It's kind of like saying that it was great that the women's suffrage movement happened, but women these days should really just listen to their husbands and vote as the men do.  

The real point is, if you're going to invoke the past struggles of the equal rights movement, you should celebrate the strides that we've made and be proud of the women who are products of that movement.  As many in this thread have pointed out, there was nothing wrong with Ashleigh Banfield's outfit.  I watch all the news stations, and I've never seen anything wrong with these women's wardrobes. To say "we fought hard for respect, so button up" disacknowledges progress, and reinforces the ideals that we struggled so hard to unbind ourselves from so many years ago.

Excellent points, @RazorSharp Thank you for your perspective!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty thank you for your clarification. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

BTW, I never commented on Ashleigh Banfield.  I do not know who she is.  I do not watch the show.