Trusted Contributor

Re: Ashleigh Banfield on CNN This Morning

@HappyDaze wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Even when covered up these news anchors wear dresses so tight they may as well be naked. I guess this is the current trend in dressing but , being 67 and all, I do not think they look nice at all. Some of the most beautiful women in history - Liz taylor , marilyn Monroe etc diod not need to show themselves like that to make men crazy for them. If men today need this to make them feel desire for a woman - what is wrong with them ?

Women don't always dress the way they do to attract other men.  Sometimes they want to wear something that makes them feel good and looks attractive on them.  

The point is - to my 67 year old eye - it isn't attractive on the vast majority of women. Yes, there do exist women who have the perfect body this requires but they are a very small % of the population. The rest are just lying to themselves.

My mom is about your age and it is posts like these that make me realize how thankful I am that she is not as judgemental as you.

^THIS. She doesn't get the fact that there are a LOT of women who are thin and work hard to maintain a healthy weight.

Honored Contributor

I saw on one of the shows (CNN or FOX) and they kept showing a woman who was giving the weather and she started talking to someone off camera and then she said (paraphrasing, "OH!  OK, I need to put this on") and it was a shirt or sweater.

Click here if you want to see the video:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3591746/KTLA-meteorologist-forced-cover-grey-cardigan-live-a...

Esteemed Contributor

That's Right - the head guy at FOX is UGLY Roger Ailes. 

Read the article.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/01/13/i-cant-see-her-legs-roger-ailes-rampant-sexism/197552

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@kivah wrote:

The female hosts and news anchors are told my the powers that be (men behind the scenes) - to wear sexy-type clothing. I can't watch Fox anymore -- all their female hosts look like they just arrived from beauty pageants. They sit on stools with their very long legs dangling. They are beautiful but they look like clones of each other. Remember when people on tv all looked different?

wow this is such a sexist post. Like the only people working "behind the scenes" or are part of the "powers that be" are men?? really? And that women in this day and age don't have a say in what they wear and just blindly follow what the "men behind the scenes" say.

There are amazingly intelligent women onair these days and it is really sad that this fact is missed by many because they are too busy judging their outfits and looks!

And no, actually people on tv used to look even more "identical" and clone-like than they do now, by far. I watch the old movies and all the actors and actresses wore the same similar clothing, hairstyles, etc. like this:

Image result for old black and white movies

Oh no!!!  Where's Rita?

Honored Contributor

Please know this post is not to throw shade into this discussion but earlier last week Ainsley Earhardt had a segment where she had a suit made as the male anchors had made before she joined the morning team.  Because I am an inveterate button pusher I didn't see the entire segment but I have to say it was jarring (not unpleasant mind you) to see her in a suit along with her male colleagues.

Not sure where I am going with this but it did take me back a step or two . . . 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

wow this is such a sexist post. Like the only people working "behind the scenes" or are part of the "powers that be" are men?? really? And that women in this day and age don't have a say in what they wear and just blindly follow what the "men behind the scenes" say.

There are amazingly intelligent women onair these days and it is really sad that this fact is missed by many because they are too busy judging their outfits and looks!

And no, actually people on tv used to look even more "identical" and clone-like than they do now, by far. I watch the old movies and all the actors and actresses wore the same similar clothing, hairstyles, etc. like this:

Oh no!!!  Where's Rita?

@ritasNo1Fan lol here ya go. Smexy mama Rita *gasp*

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 68 , and can remember fighting for women's rights.

I remember when men could, and did pat your behind in the work place.

I can remember when a man would get way more money than a women who had twice as much seniority and experience...because she "really didn't need the money" like a man did.  I remember vividly women being sexually harassed, and even fired or "let go" at will because she wouldn't "play the game", or wasn't fast pouring the coffee for the boss.

I remember when sexual comments to women went unpunished, and were encouraged  I remember how hard it was for women to be taken seriously.  They would never be asked opinions on politics, because that was a man's job.  It was not common for a women to be a news anchor, a doctor, lawyer.  Most women could hope for no more than to find a husband, or be a file clerk, librarian, secretary, teacher.  I remember in the 70's my friend who had worked as a 3rd grade teacher for 4 years, being denied a raise, but the new male teacher being hired at a salary way higher than hers.  When she asked, they said, "he has a family, he needs the check".  She was married without kids yet.  But they considered her working just a job before she had kids.

With all that women have attained the last 45+ years, it is hard    younger women  to realize what has been fought for them.  They just haven't experienced the "women can't do that" mentality to the fullest.

I am all for looking great, womanly but geesh...this boobie thing for ratings has gone to far.  To me it is like you can look even sexier and more beautiful..PLUS look bright, intelligent on top of the game..... with clothes.  IMO, it is kind of like the difference between a beautiful one piece bathing suit, and a bikini.  Sometimes the one piece looks more attractive because of with holding back just that little bit of skin, LOL  Hard to explain, but I hope you get my drift.

What offends me is how men still victimize women on news shows.  Take the Anderson Cooper 360 show panel. (LOVE< LOVE LOVE him)   Okay, they put the platinum blond in bright sex(y outfits, lots of make up, and give her the job where she looks like a "dumb blond", and she is a Harvard lawyer)  We know she has brains, and has to be a hard worker.  But the way she appears she lessens her strength as a viable oponant.  I can hardly stomach her, and it embarresses me they way she appears next to her debate equals. .  Then the other women that aren't maybe quite as pretty the opportunity to be articulate, intelligent and well informed..  You know that Kayleigh chick can't articulate well, but she looks good.  I am embarrassed for her.  But she wears the cute , sexy clothes and has the blond hair for the men.  Dress for success.If you dress confidently, it shows.   JMHO and nothing else

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty I have to disagree with your statement that Kayleigh can't articulate well. I think she does great and holds her own up there and even though all the other ladies and guys up there constantly laugh at her,  roll their eyes at her and constantly interrupt her, she doesn't let them get her riled up.  They really treat her like krap and are very disrespectful to her and it is very unprofessional.  I think it is terrible how they basically set up her for failure by having everyone else up there be anti-trump and gang up on her. I honestly don't know why she puts up with it.

I am not even saying I am a Trump fan but I like Kayleigh and I think she is intelligent and beautiful and I haven't really noticed her outfits to be too sexy at all- in fact, not that I really paid attention but thinking back on it, I always thinks she looked very respectable and professional but yes, also womanly because she has a nice figure (should she have to cover her figure up with a baggy or unflattering outfit??). I guess I've never really noticed anyone's cleavage except one time Erin B's after her baby but I pay more attention to what they are saying than their outfits, just like I don't pay much attention to the men's outfits either.

Respected Contributor

Great post. @shoekitty!!!  These 20- and 30-somethings who say "I'm not a feminist" are ignorant of how things would have been for them a few decades ago.  They benefit from the strides women have made in society and in the workplace while giving no credit to the women who came before them and won those rights for them.  Shame!

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I am 68 , and can remember fighting for women's rights.

I remember when men could, and did pat your behind in the work place.

I can remember when a man would get way more money than a women who had twice as much seniority and experience...because she "really didn't need the money" like a man did.  I remember vividly women being sexually harassed, and even fired or "let go" at will because she wouldn't "play the game", or wasn't fast pouring the coffee for the boss.

I remember when sexual comments to women went unpunished, and were encouraged  I remember how hard it was for women to be taken seriously.  They would never be asked opinions on politics, because that was a man's job.  It was not common for a women to be a news anchor, a doctor, lawyer.  Most women could hope for no more than to find a husband, or be a file clerk, librarian, secretary, teacher.  I remember in the 70's my friend who had worked as a 3rd grade teacher for 4 years, being denied a raise, but the new male teacher being hired at a salary way higher than hers.  When she asked, they said, "he has a family, he needs the check".  She was married without kids yet.  But they considered her working just a job before she had kids.

With all that women have attained the last 45+ years, it is hard    younger women  to realize what has been fought for them.  They just haven't experienced the "women can't do that" mentality to the fullest.

I am all for looking great, womanly but geesh...this boobie thing for ratings has gone to far.  To me it is like you can look even sexier and more beautiful..PLUS look bright, intelligent on top of the game..... with clothes.  IMO, it is kind of like the difference between a beautiful one piece bathing suit, and a bikini.  Sometimes the one piece looks more attractive because of with holding back just that little bit of skin, LOL  Hard to explain, but I hope you get my drift.

What offends me is how men still victimize women on news shows.  Take the Anderson Cooper 360 show panel. (LOVE< LOVE LOVE him)   Okay, they put the platinum blond in bright sex(y outfits, lots of make up, and give her the job where she looks like a "dumb blond", and she is a Harvard lawyer)  We know she has brains, and has to be a hard worker.  But the way she appears she lessens her strength as a viable oponant.  I can hardly stomach her, and it embarresses me they way she appears next to her debate equals. .  Then the other women that aren't maybe quite as pretty the opportunity to be articulate, intelligent and well informed..  You know that Kayleigh chick can't articulate well, but she looks good.  I am embarrassed for her.  But she wears the cute , sexy clothes and has the blond hair for the men.  Dress for success.If you dress confidently, it shows.   JMHO and nothing else

BRAVA!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky