Honored Contributor

Re: Ashleigh Banfield on CNN This Morning

@RazorSharp wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Even when covered up these news anchors wear dresses so tight they may as well be naked. I guess this is the current trend in dressing but , being 67 and all, I do not think they look nice at all. Some of the most beautiful women in history - Liz taylor , marilyn Monroe etc diod not need to show themselves like that to make men crazy for them. If men today need this to make them feel desire for a woman - what is wrong with them ?

Women don't always dress the way they do to attract other men.  Sometimes they want to wear something that makes them feel good and looks attractive on them.  

The point is - to my 67 year old eye - it isn't attractive on the vast majority of women. Yes, there do exist women who have the perfect body this requires but they are a very small % of the population. The rest are just lying to themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with her clothes but she really needs to do something about those "racoon eyes" - Too much eyeliner Ashleigh - JMO

Respected Contributor

I love her hair style. It reminds me of how Shawn used to wear her hair.
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Even when covered up these news anchors wear dresses so tight they may as well be naked. I guess this is the current trend in dressing but , being 67 and all, I do not think they look nice at all. Some of the most beautiful women in history - Liz taylor , marilyn Monroe etc diod not need to show themselves like that to make men crazy for them. If men today need this to make them feel desire for a woman - what is wrong with them ?

Women don't always dress the way they do to attract other men.  Sometimes they want to wear something that makes them feel good and looks attractive on them.  

The point is - to my 67 year old eye - it isn't attractive on the vast majority of women. Yes, there do exist women who have the perfect body this requires but they are a very small % of the population. The rest are just lying to themselves.

My mom is about your age and it is posts like these that make me realize how thankful I am that she is not as judgemental as you.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@151949 wrote:

If that's your point, you didn't express it well the first time around, because I don't see how saying that women dress the way they do to attract men is related to saying how women dress the way they do because they are in denial of how their bodies really look. Regardless, you seem to have a lot of unique ideas about fashion.

Esteemed Contributor

The female hosts and news anchors are told my the powers that be (men behind the scenes) - to wear sexy-type clothing. I can't watch Fox anymore -- all their female hosts look like they just arrived from beauty pageants. They sit on stools with their very long legs dangling. They are beautiful but they look like clones of each other. Remember when people on tv all looked different?

Trusted Contributor

Some of our posts are hilarious Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

The female hosts and news anchors are told my the powers that be (men behind the scenes) - to wear sexy-type clothing. I can't watch Fox anymore -- all their female hosts look like they just arrived from beauty pageants. They sit on stools with their very long legs dangling. They are beautiful but they look like clones of each other. Remember when people on tv all looked different?

wow this is such a sexist post. Like the only people working "behind the scenes" or are part of the "powers that be" are men?? really? And that women in this day and age don't have a say in what they wear and just blindly follow what the "men behind the scenes" say.

There are amazingly intelligent women onair these days and it is really sad that this fact is missed by many because they are too busy judging their outfits and looks!

And no, actually people on tv used to look even more "identical" and clone-like than they do now, by far. I watch the old movies and all the actors and actresses wore the same similar clothing, hairstyles, etc. like this:

Image result for old black and white movies

Image result for old black and white movies

Esteemed Contributor

A well known Female Fox journalist gave a radio interview and joked about being happy to be able to wear slacks.  It's a dress policy for women to wear dresses or skirts while on air.  Last year a reporter from a midwest affiliate had to publicly shame her producer into allowing her to wear a hat while on air outside in the cold.

This is 2016 and many of us would like to think their are freedoms in the workplace but that's untrue. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I didn't see the program, it might not have been as bad as op thinks.  The fact of the matter is, it's different world than it was, even just a few years ago.  Like it or new the "glamour girl" look is in for female news anchors and reporters.  They are younger, painfully thin and they dress for work they way most of dress to go for a fancy dinner on date night.  It's low necklines, tight short skirts, big bold jewelry.  And that has filtered down to other work places.  What is "appropriate" for the workplace has changed.  Sometimes, I look at my staff and I wonder why they are wearing party clothes to work.    That can be disconcerting for women "of a certain age".  And I think it's a little liberating that women have the confidence to dress to let their personalities show in the way they dress.  I like that women don't feel the need to walk around lke clones of each other.  At 56, I see outfits that I think are "too much" or maybe I should say "too little"....lol  But I mentally check myself.  Because "what" that anchor or reporter is saying is much more important than what she is wearing.