Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ashleigh Banfield on CNN This Morning

Just vote with the remote. Everything comes down to money. If they lose viewers they will dress different. If the viewership improves they will keep doing what gets the ratings. Too many places to get news for me to stick with something I don't like. I also do this with actors who raise money for a candidate I am against and get very vocal about politics. I boycott anything they are in. Too much entertainment out there to enjoy. It is the actors right to do anything political they want and my right to vote with my wallet.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I think cleavage is ugly and I don't want to see anyone's cleavage outside of swimwear.  Wearing low cut tops is just inviting someone to look there.  The only point I can see to wearing such low cut tops, that expose so much, is for attention.  Go ahead and blast me, but that is how I feel.  I am no prude, but I would NEVER feel comfortable showing so much of me out in public.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

Ms. Banfield was not "whipping them out."  She was dressed tastefully and professionally.  There's nothing wrong with showing a little cleavage in the workplace. Shaming each other about our bodies and clothing choices is not helpful.  

Most workplace dress codes would disagree with you --- including the school I work in.

To compare a school to a newsroom is foolish.

Respected Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I'm watching CNN this morning with Ashleigh Banfield.  I like her as an anchor.  But, this morning, she is wearing such a low cut top that her cleavage is out there and it looks terrible.  Where is the decorum anymore for news people on TV?  

She's got a great job. She should dress professionally.   I couldn't dress like that in my former office!   I see women news anchors in tops that with their long hair covering the straps, makes them look like they are wearing beachwear!   Some local TV anchors dress more professionally!

They don't have to be in a business suit, but please.   We don't need to see your cha cha's.   Dress with some respect for the job you have and the people who are watching and trying to take you seriously.

@Frosted Cake  I watched her show this morning and didn't notice anything about her top or boobs.  Keep in mind, I'm a 65 year old girl and do not dress that way...  

Respected Contributor

She's very attractive. Cleavage doesn't bother me.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

Ms. Banfield was not "whipping them out."  She was dressed tastefully and professionally.  There's nothing wrong with showing a little cleavage in the workplace. Shaming each other about our bodies and clothing choices is not helpful.  

Most workplace dress codes would disagree with you --- including the school I work in.

To compare a school to a newsroom is foolish 

A school is a workplace and they have offices as well.  I also said most workplace dress codes would disagree with you-- not just school dress codes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I'm certainly glad I missed Ashley Banfield today!  Broadcast news has become a high-class version of Hooters without the food.  I'm beyond tired of the skin-tight, low-cut mini-dresses with the 5" platform heels and false eyelashes so common on newcasts (local and national stations) these days. 

When my favorite local weatherman was demoted to weekends, I wrote a scathing e-mail to the station (something I've only done that one time).  I mentioned that they were forcing their buxom blonde female anchor to compromise her dignity in an assortment of low-cut, too-tight dresses and suggested that maybe if he'd made his wardrobe more "daring," shall we say, he wouldn't have been pushed onto weekends.  The next morning she appeared on air in a loose black dress.  I don't know whether it was just coincidence, but it was a dramatic change from what the new management had been making her wear.  Of course, the revealing dresses were back on her in no time. 

I feel bad for these women with degrees in broadcast journalism and even law degrees who are forced to sit on the set in skimpy, tight clothing and outlandish make-up, not to mention the bleached blonde hair.  It's good for them to look attractive and up-to-date, but sometimes they just look trashy.  It's sad and IMO sexist.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Even when covered up these news anchors wear dresses so tight they may as well be naked. I guess this is the current trend in dressing but , being 67 and all, I do not think they look nice at all. Some of the most beautiful women in history - Liz taylor , marilyn Monroe etc diod not need to show themselves like that to make men crazy for them. If men today need this to make them feel desire for a woman - what is wrong with them ?

Nobody showed off more cleavage than Liz Taylor. And Marilyn Monroe was known for her cleavage. Watch TCM ....they have a lot of their movies and newsreel footage of how they dressed in real life.

Cleavage doesn't bother me in the least. I am too busy listening to what someone has to say than busy assessing their bodies.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Even when covered up these news anchors wear dresses so tight they may as well be naked. I guess this is the current trend in dressing but , being 67 and all, I do not think they look nice at all. Some of the most beautiful women in history - Liz taylor , marilyn Monroe etc diod not need to show themselves like that to make men crazy for them. If men today need this to make them feel desire for a woman - what is wrong with them ?

Nobody showed off more cleavage than Liz Taylor. And Marilyn Monroe was known for her cleavage. Watch TCM ....they have a lot of their movies and newsreel footage of how they dressed in real life.

Cleavage doesn't bother me in the least. I am too busy listening to what someone has to say than busy assessing their bodies.

I think movie stars are different from news reporters and anchors.  These women have serious jobs and should not be forced to dress provocatively.  One meteorologist complained that the local news station urged her to wear tight, low-cut tops.  She was unhappy with this and went public.

QVC Customer Care