Respected Contributor

Re: As u age,is it more/less difficult to part w/ items?

Seems DH and I spent much of our youth acquiring things. Now that he is gone, I'm working on getting rid of half of it. 

Having had an estate sale at my mom's home, I found that our 'treasures' mean very little to anyone but ourselves. Even nice, high end items won't sell unless dirt cheap. I watched people come and go carrying out items of our life, our history, leaving  just a few dollars behind.

So, I'm donating, or giving items to those I know who would love them as I scale down my own home. No more sales. It's very easy now, since I get with aging wisdom, that less clutter and mental detachment from many items is actually freeing for the mind. 

Respected Contributor

I have WAY too much, mainly clothes, plus tchotchkes.

If I were really mean, I'd leave all that stuff for my heirs, family, friends, etc. to deal with. What I'd like to do is get of some of this stuff myself but physically I can't do it, and neither can my DH. We're just too old and unable to do the physical work involved.

So I'll probably hire a service to take the rest of it away. I don't like to think of what it will cost but I hope it'll be worth it.

Valued Contributor

Much easier.  

I find as I get older, I feel much more relaxed in my home with clean, uncluttered surfaces.  I have donated a lot of stuff that really didn't mean anything to me. 

The upside is that there is less dusting which was never my strong suit anyway. 

Valued Contributor

For some reason,  it's easier for me to get rid of "things" than clothes.   I need therapy to learn how to "let go".

Regular Contributor

Easier!  When I was younger I accumulated stuff and I held onto everything.  Now I've spent the past year getting rid of truckloads of "STUFF" and that's all it's become.  Too much stuff that I thought I had to have over the years became unnecessary clutter.  I'd rather pass it on to someone who can put it to good use!  Love It or LOSE IT!

Contributor

Some things are easy to part with, others harder...I have lots of clothes that I have a hard time getting rid of like another poster, and lots of decor items that are hard for me to get rid of because they are so pretty.  When I really like something, I want to keep it, even if I'm not sure what I'll do with it/where I'll put it.  Stuff that meant a lot to my Dad/that he liked is hard to get rid of, even though I don't necessarily have use for it, now that he is gone.

Honored Contributor

I have repurchased "sentimental" items I lost in the '94 quake.....(at much higher prices)...    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

l have a tough time getting rid of extra stuff l have . l have a ton of small appliances , pans and kettles are stored in a couple of cabinets in the garage , basement is full of canned food , dishes , decorating items , medical supplies , clothing blankets pillows quilts and totes full of clothes, a ton of sewing and crafting supplies boxes of fancy glassware , on and on . l also have a garden shed full of outdoor decorations ,as well as christmas stuff including xmas dishes, flower planters,vases , rugs gift wrapping stuff .

l once piled a bunch of new pots pans and casserole dishes out on a table in the garage and asked the kids to come and help them selves . My granddaughter who was getting married soon only picked out a couple of things . My daughter took a few fry pans and l had most still left . l bring dishes of food to share at gatherings and try to leave the bowl behind , but l always get it back .  

Seems no one wants the fancy glassware anymore .  l just love using it and always pick out beautiful bowls to bring food to gatherings .  Maybe that's why l keep it all . 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never been a collector of anything, so it's very easy for me to let go of items. I have a bunch of younger relatives who are happy to take possession of many of the household items and clothing. None of them have my size feet tho....so I end up donating my boots/shoes/sandals that are still wearable. My side of the family was very poor and most anything of value was handed down to other relatives. 

Any of the family heirlooms from my husband's family were divided amongst his siblings and what we have will go to our sons, or other family members. My husband is not sentimental either but he does appreciate some of the furniture and art work. I gave away all the furs that were handed down to in-laws. I would never wear them as we just don't t live the sort of lifestyle where a mink coat would ever be appropriate. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Easier.  When I was younger, material things were important.  Now I don't "need" all those things I needed then.