Honored Contributor

Re: As u age,is it more/less difficult to part w/ items?

It's easier.  

Respected Contributor

You kinda wonder if the whole aspect of shopping for "stuff" other than food and necessaries such as clothes for work will change a larger part of the whole picture...

Young people don't want tchotchkees and stuff all over, or "brown furniture" or sets of dishes, utensils, pots and pans, slow cookers...all the things we grew up with using and in some ways, are still being sold as a way to hold on to that disappearing time in our lives...

Then, you have us slightly older folks.

I'm 66, and honestly, I have everrything I want or need, and have been and continue to get rid of things. Yes it's hard to get rid of stuff that was in the family for ages, but if you're not using it, or it's hidden in a box in the attic that realistically you will never open again....why keep it?

Younger people don't want all the clutter, older people don't want stuff they no longer use or have to dust around, or things and collections they have tired of.

Collections that cost money are hard to part with. Especially when you discover tastes have changed and all that collectable stuff is just junk to most people, who, in the circular way, don't want tchotchkees or dust collectors or someone else's plate, doll, bear, Hummel, Fenton etc collection...

Everything changes and I think this development in several generations no longer wanting "stuff" is going to change the landscape of shopping too.

On the plus side, the landfills will sigh with relief....until the boatload of plastic bottles, chargers, wires of all kind for connecting stuff, and old electronics arrive.

Round and round it goes.....

Respected Contributor

Easier. I always decluttered each season, but I've really been on that path since 2020, while collecting and buying much less.

I love meaningful things around me, always have. But always on the path to declutter what is no longer used, pretty or loved.

Buying much less these days, time of life, but inflation has made an impact too. And I've always loved saving money for experiences and adventures, more than "stuff."  I still love pretty things in my home, and buy anything I might need or love, but tossing the old too.

If it's something for the home, I have to know where and how it will be displayed or used, and what's going out.

Honored Contributor

With the exception of a few items, i find it easier.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

As an only child, many of these items were from from parents and I can't stand to part w/them. I have Daddy's bible that he carried during WW2. He was a front row artillery  gunner.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

As an only child, many of these items were from from parents and I can't stand to part w/them. I have Daddy's bible that he carried during WW2. He was a front row artillery  gunner.

@Group 5 minus 1 I so relate and glad you said that. I realize it's not just me! I'm an only child too. Dad passed 22 years ago, mom in 2020. Many other of my immediate family now gone too.

I have many, many meaningful things I'll never part with, to keep my loved one's memories close. Plus my mom had great taste, and I have all of her jewelry, and some of her home decor items around me. ❤️ Also her Polish stoneware, her lasagna pan etc...things I use that remind me so of her as I go about life.

@Group 5 minus 1 Those are things worth keeping for sure. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends on what it is and how many memories are attached to it.  

Many of my things are those I spent time looking for, sometimes years, then buying.  That includes furniture and certain pieces of clothing. They spoke to me and still do.  Lots of enjoyable activity and events surrounding them over the years involving other people.  Many have stories behind them.  It would be like giving my past history away.  

Honored Contributor

As I age (69) I find it easy to part with stuff bought through the years but really don't need or want now.

I do find it difficult to part with anything from my mom or her side of the family. They are precious to me.

Unfortunately I didn't get anything from my dad side of the family. And that's ok.

Honored Contributor

So true, @OKPrincess --  casually purchased items, easy to dispose of.  Family pieces,  much harder.

Luckily, I don't have that much from my parents-- just a few select items that I hope to keep with me.

Respected Contributor

I find it much easier to get rid of many things that I just no longer need or use. I even amazed myself with the number of boxes I filled during the COVID lockdown. I was never a serious collector of any one thing...I am so relieved that I didn't spend lots of money filling up space with figurines, dolls, etc. I do have some things of sentimental value and will probably be discarded or sold when I am gone. None of my kids seem to be interested in heirlooms of any kind.