Honored Contributor

As someone deeply interested in the history of our country during the Depression and WW II

I was fascinated to read about Doris Miller in this morning's online news.

I will be searching for a good biography of him. One among the many fine men and women who fought and served during a complex and frightening time in international history.

Honored Contributor

Re: As someone deeply interested in the history of our country during the Depression and WW II

Thank you for sharing this. What a marvelous man he was..I tried to bring a picture over but couldn't

Esteemed Contributor

Re: As someone deeply interested in the history of our country during the Depression and WW II

CBS Sunday Morning news did a story on him yesterday.  This is the first time an aircraft carrier will not be named after a president - the next aircraft carrier currently being built will be named after Miller.  That's a heck of an honor! 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

download (2).jpg

"Doris "Dorie" Miller was an American Messman Third Class in the United States Navy. During the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Miller manned anti-aircraft guns—for which he had had no training—and tended to the wounded. For his actions, he was recognized by the Navy and awarded the Navy Cross." Wikipedia

Respected Contributor

There was a feature on yesterday's  CBS Sunday Morning about the new Battle Ship that is going to be named Miller. They normally are named after Presidents.  The last one was Kennedy and Caroline christened it. Breaking a tradition and thus some may not agree.

As was said sadly, in 1939 he was nameless in the newspaper even though a true hero. He was portrayed  in the movie Pearl Harbor. Better late than never to finally recognize  and honor this brave and courageous Hero .It brings tears to my eyes.

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

There was a feature on yesterday's  CBS Sunday Morning about the new Battle Ship that is going to be named Miller. They normally are named after Presidents.  The last one was Kennedy and Caroline christened it. Breaking a tradition and thus some may not agree.

As was said sadly, in 1939 he was nameless in the newspaper even though a true hero. He was portrayed  in the movie Pearl Harbor. Better late than never to finally recognize  and honor this brave and courageous Hero .It brings tears to my eyes.

As I have thought about this I believe I may have at some point previously read something like "a kitchen worker was among the first to respond..." (my words). I'm fairly sure I didn't see a name.

He lost his life in action, in 1943.

Hopefully there may be relatives who can accept the honor he earned. Otherwise, a wonderful model for young people who may feel intimidated when confronted by wrong doing.

Honored Contributor

I think if he has no family to respond, a  high ranking member of the Navy should ,and gift his medal to the Smithsonian ,for the nation to  remember, and honor his memory

Honored Contributor

The National Museum of African American History & Culture in DC would be the place for the Smithsonian donation.  I agree.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Gorgf wrote:

As I have thought about this I believe I may have at some point previously read something like "a kitchen worker was among the first to respond..." (my words). I'm fairly sure I didn't see a name.

He lost his life in action, in 1943.

Hopefully there may be relatives who can accept the honor he earned. Otherwise, a wonderful model for young people who may feel intimidated when confronted by wrong doing.

@violann You’re right. His duty assignment was the officers mess. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

IMO a battleship would be a more appropriate honor. His actions in battle are why he is being honored.  But maybe battleships are named after battles. 

Keepin' it real.