Honored Contributor

Re: As if Harvey/Irma weren't enough, now Jose & Katia

It seems to be so easy for people who aren't in the path of this horrendous storm to sit back and tell others what to do! 

My heart breaks for Texans, the Islands and now Floridians, I'm praying for you all. I WILL NOT lecture anyone who lives there, God bless you all. Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I am booked for a cruise leaving October 14th, I pray things are calm!!!!

Is your cruise in the Caribbean?

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I am booked for a cruise leaving October 14th, I pray things are calm!!!!

Oh, I hope so too.  You have a little while to go yet.  I am sure this,weather,make you nervous,

Once we had planned a trip to Greece and it included a cruise,  I was at work and looked at the news on line at saw the ship we were booked on listing outside of Santorini and it later sank.  My my heart sank too.

The cruise company got us a different ship.  I was nervous for a while,

Trusted Contributor

Irma, Jose and Katia are all now hurricanes.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes, my cruise is to Bermuda😤

I went on royal Caribbean today and they have already cancelled some cruises and delayed others.  I am hopeful that Bermuda waters will be com, but I purposely Do Not book any September Caribbean cruises.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

It seems to be so easy for people who aren't in the path of this horrendous storm to sit back and tell others what to do! 

My heart breaks for Texans, the Islands and now Floridians, I'm praying for you all. I WILL NOT lecture anyone who lives there, God bless you all. Heart

@JaneMarple- I'm in total agreement. It's easy to tell people what to do when they're in a safe place grrrr

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The Earth is 4.6 Billion plus or minius years young.....it does what IT wants to......we are nothing more than flies  on a pile of 💩.  Unimportant.  Nothing is strange or different....Earth Changes go one year after year after year....,we are  nothing more than a spec in time.....a moment.....a forgotten thought. Here today, gone tomorrow.  The Earth will survive.  To think we are so important to wipe out the Earth is comical.   The Earth will wipe us out.  That is what it does. 

I agree with your perspective.  It's factual.  I wish it could make fear go away.  Some will lose their homes, some will barely be affected and some may not be with us after it passes.  These storms are certainly a test of American empathy and generosity. 

Other parts of our globe have experienced one disaster after another but we are not accustomed to coping at that level.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The Earth is 4.6 Billion plus or minius years young.....it does what IT wants to......we are nothing more than flies  on a pile of 💩.  Unimportant.  Nothing is strange or different....Earth Changes go one year after year after year....,we are  nothing more than a spec in time.....a moment.....a forgotten thought. Here today, gone tomorrow.  The Earth will survive.  To think we are so important to wipe out the Earth is comical.   The Earth will wipe us out.  That is what it does. 

I agree with your perspective.  It's factual.  I wish it could make fear go away.  Some will lose their homes, some will barely be affected and some may not be with us after it passes.  These storms are certainly a test of American empathy and generosity. 

Other parts of our globe have experienced one disaster after another but we are not accustomed to coping at that level.

@SeaMaidenI understand your pov but I disagree that we are just flies on a pile.

We have known for decades that some of our human disregard for Mother Earth has been contributing to some of the changes in our environment.

We cannot stop these hurricanes but we can wake up once and for all and realize that our actions can and do affect our wonderful earth to some degree.

Cycles come and go, yes.  However, much of the warnings were not taken seriously through the decades; scoffing by uninformed people, including TV/radio personalities, kept people just going about their merry way.

This is my opinion, and I know there are posters here who agree. 

I am not out to save the Earth; but I am out to be a good steward so that my grandchildren will be able to enjoy what this planet has to offer just as I did growing up.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I agree we should do what we can.  We can't claim ignorance about what endangers the earth.  With all the information and our ability to make changes, and more awareness of urban sprawl, pressure on clean water, air, etc., nobody is talking about birth control.  I don't want to take this thread off topic but it's huge factor and there's almost silence on it. Proactive voices are not well received and that may be our undoing, in the final chapter.

Valued Contributor

You do have a point there, Free. Population expansion has contributed to the problems in Houston and what will happen in Florida. Evacuation logistics and drainage issues due to pavement replacing natural ground are just a couple of the problems related to so many people moving into these areas.