Honored Contributor

As if Harvey/Irma weren't enough, now Jose & Katia

Hurricane Irma has wreaked havoc after pummeling exotic Caribbean islands with 185mph winds on its devastating march towards the US east coast.

Aid agencies are bracing for a 'major humanitarian response' as the most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic made its first landfall.

Buildings have been destroyed, roads flooded and people left trapped after the 'monster' storm - estimated to be the size of France - lashed the region just hours after officials warned people to seek protection from Irma's 'onslaught' in a statement that closed with: 'May God protect us all.'

Heavy rain and howling winds from the hurricane also raked Antigua, sending debris flying as people huddled in their homes or public shelters. French officials said Saint-Barthelemy and Saint-Martin have been 'battered extremely violently' with even sturdy government buildings destroyed. Emergency food and water rations are being sent to the islands. 

Experts say Irma is now so powerful it is registering on devices designed to detect earthquakes. Scientists picked up the background noise of winds causing trees to move and crashing ocean waves on their earthquake-detecting seismometers. 

In addition to Irma, Tropical Storm Jose has now formed behind it in the open Atlantic and is expected to develop into a hurricane. A third tropical storm - Katia - has also formed in the Gulf of Mexico with winds but is expected to stay offshore until Friday morning. 

Satellite images show the hurricane moving towards Cuba, with a second tropical storm following behind

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: As if Harvey/Irma weren't enough, now Jose & Katia

Jose doesn't seem to be too far behind. 

Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Sadly this is always how it works. One year there will be one after another tropical storms and hurricanes and on and on. Then usually we won't get any for many years. It's scary and awful for those affected.

Thank goodness for us the flood waters never got in the house but we were stuck inside for days. I knew I had the venture out when I wanted to strangle my husband because he was so content to stay home longer lol 

Honored Contributor

This is what happens when Georgia and Florida get into a bad drought.  Mother Nature always makes up for it.  South Texas had a severe drought a few years ago too.  You always know when you're due.  Smiley Indifferent

Valued Contributor

Do you remember in 2005, there were "so many" that the Greek alphabet was used ... "Alpha" was the tropical storm's name, but never reach gigantic porportions such as we're witnessing in 2017.

Respected Contributor

I haven't left yet, I really don't want to leave DH and DS. Spoke with EOC: there are shelters with generators. I'm a "medical evacuee" on Oxygen and CPAP , A- Fib, Diabetes. Auto-immune disease-and neurologic problems.... I just can't bring myself to leave....

I am much calmer now than I was a few hours ago, but I am now at peace......I don't want to be apart from DH and DS....

I know emotionally I am all over the map.....please don't call me crazy down the road here.

In this situation, there are no easy answers-ever....

One of my problems have been that DH tells me one thing (his opinion-but he really is not all-knowing-as much as he thinks he is).....and son-who really should be a lawyer-sees both sides-but leaves,me with no answers.

I am in such a fugue....I have to confess, my brain is not up to par-at this point, I am not rationally synthesizing anything....

And yes-I said earlier I am at peace with what EOC told me...and then I'm at odds too....

Dear Adonai- get us all through this...this has an eastern track-Georgia, the Carolinas on upward.....

What the.....

Loves and Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I haven't left yet, I really don't want to leave DH and DS. Spoke with EOC: there are shelters with generators. I'm a "medical evacuee" on Oxygen and CPAP , A- Fib, Diabetes. Auto-immune disease-and neurologic problems.... I just can't bring myself to leave....

I am much calmer now than I was a few hours ago, but I am now at peace......I don't want to be apart from DH and DS....

I know emotionally I am all over the map.....please don't call me crazy down the road here.

In this situation, there are no easy answers-ever....

One of my problems have been that DH tells me one thing (his opinion-but he really is not all-knowing-as much as he thinks he is).....and son-who really should be a lawyer-sees both sides-but leaves,me with no answers.

I am in such a fugue....I have to confess, my brain is not up to par-at this point, I am not rationally synthesizing anything....

And yes-I said earlier I am at peace with what EOC told me...and then I'm at odds too....

Dear Adonai- get us all through this...this has an eastern track-Georgia, the Carolinas on upward.....

What the.....

Loves and Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2  {{{hugs}}}  You were so sympathetic for the good people of Houston.

And now you are facing some serious issues.  I want you to know that you are in thought and prayer; your unselfishness when others were struggling will return to you.  Of this I am certain.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'm in coastal Ga and we're watching this closely.

We've made preparations in case we don't have to leave, but have no power, etc., but we also have made hotel reservations in another city, in the event we do have to evacuate.

I'm praying hard that we don't have to evacuate.

Poor DD will have to evacuate with 2 dogs and 8 cats......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Poodlepet2, I sense how dreadful your dilemma is.  May all be blessed and stay well.

Valued Contributor

Get out of Florida now ... I-95 will be congested soon.   Remember Hurricane Harvey ... heed the warning.