Esteemed Contributor

Re: As a kid/teen, what was your favorite liquid refreshment?

@Lovethesea
@denisemb

Which way did he go?  Which way did he go?  He went for FAYGO!  Yep, rock and rye was a favorite and black cherry soda.  I'd forgotten about that, too!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Desert Di, when I was little Polio was rampant. My mother put the fear of god into me about using public fountains. To this day I wont get near one.

In the 1950's the nuns told was drinking out of the garden hose caused Polio.

Respected Contributor

Vanilla coke right from the soda fountain!  Soooo good!

Occasional Contributor

Grape pop, probably Shasta!

they used to have cool commercials too.

Honored Contributor

lulu2 wrote:

hennypenny wrote:

Desert Di, when I was little Polio was rampant. My mother put the fear of god into me about using public fountains. To this day I wont get near one.

In the 1950's the nuns told was drinking out of the garden hose caused Polio.

Ooh, flashback!   I didn't have nuns, but the mother was always saying that things caused polio.   If you didn't take a nap - polio.   Kids only need to eat twice a day - any more than that causes polio.   At some point, during my childhood, I remember the light bulb coming on, telling me that it was all pretty ridiculous.  

But interesting that others used the 'polio' thing on kids.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Dr. Pepper! Every Saturday night with buttered popcorn....such a simple, happy treat!

Respected Contributor

Polio was sooooo contagious. We were not allowed to go in public pools. My best friend had polio and was in an iron lung for a long time. She was a lucky one and survived. Her father was on staff at the hospital and she had excellent care. 

I am in CA and there is a resergence of drinking fountains. most here are configured to fill bottles and cups. 

Respected Contributor

Diet Coke

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Polio was sooooo contagious. We were not allowed to go in public pools. My best friend had polio and was in an iron lung for a long time. She was a lucky one and survived. Her father was on staff at the hospital and she had excellent care. 

I am in CA and there is a resergence of drinking fountains. most here are configured to fill bottles and cups. 

@hennypenny wrote:

@hennypenny

Glad to hear that they're making a come-back.  I don't know how many times I really needed a drink and no fountain to be found.  This was before bottled water.  At my last job in a very large hospital (before retiring), the "Exchange," like a small Seven-11, made a mint selling water by the gallon.  We were situated up on a hill near the San Diego Zoo with no place to go off base to purchase water and the walk up from the parking structures was wicked.