Honored Contributor

Re: As If Fire Ants Weren't Already Scary Enough

Eeeeewwww🙀

Esteemed Contributor

Woman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman Surprised

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

...................and snakes !
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
...................and snakes !

Yep, when we had the May floods in DFW, there were mounds of snakes floating around....and ending up in yards.  Hoogie!!!!   Luckily, in May the venomous snakes were coming out of hibernation so the strike factor was lessened.   In September?  You just know they're PO'd....watch out if you see any!!   Stay clear...very clear! 🐍

Honored Contributor

When I lived in Houston, I stepped out t of the car right on a mound of the darn things.  It was an experience I won't soon forget.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

YUCK!!!!

😱

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

Kill them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As Mr. Spock would say, I find it "fascinating" that these insects have such strong survival mechanisms in place.  They remind me of The Borg in "Star Trek"!  "Resistance is futile." 

Having said that, I can be amazed by the photo and the ingenuity of one of God's creations but accept that, if I lived where these insects do, I'd do whatever it took to wipe them out.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

Nasty insect.  The fire ant is fascinating because of how aggressive they are.  They originated in South America and have systematically migrated by eliminating less aggressive ants .  We had a friend who was studying them for the U.S. Government and he said (about 30 years ago) that there was no effective way to stop their migrtion north (except cold weather). That seems to be exactly what has happened....  here's some very interesting info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_imported_fire_ant

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom - when I first moved to SC I had no idea what fire ants were. It took one time and many bites - I figured it out real fast!! Those bites sting like crazy then blister up and hurt for days. I steer clear of them at all costs. And yes, the snakes are all around now with so much water.