Honored Contributor

As A Child Did You Get What You Wanted

Money was tight growing up, there were three of us. I celebrate Chanukah, people though, oh you get eight nights of presents! In reality, the presents were maybe good the first two nights, then the rest of the nights were socks, underwear, a belt, etc! I remember wanting an Easy Bake Oven so desperately. What I got was a Chef Boyardee Pizza Party Oven, not exactly the same thing! All these many years later I still sometimes bring it up to my mother!

Honored Contributor

Re: As A Child Did You Get What You Wanted

I never asked for anything so everything I got was enough for me.  Some I didn't want, but never said a word.  

I would go thru the catalogs and dream, but never thought to ask for them.  They were Wish Books to me. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

A2317F20-D659-4038-AB2F-EB84B8DB65EC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a family where money wasn't tight, but my parents wouldn't waste money on toys.

We always had an above ground swimming pool, swing sets, see saws, a record player with records and lots of books, crayons, paints, paper and paper dolls. We were not lacking in indoor toys as long as they were things that could be shared among four children. 

I asked for a Barbie Doll and so did my sister.  We got one doll to be shared between us.  The next year we got a Ken doll to share.

I wanted an Easy Bake oven too.  My mother told me I could use the family oven and stove if I wanted to bake.

When I asked for clothing, I usually got what I requested....except for a maxi coat.  I wanted one so bad but was told I would sweep the street with it.

We always got nice gifts, but most were necessities, socks, underwear, pj's, shoes, slippers,etc.

Money wasn't wasted for trivial things.

Honored Contributor

I don't even recall what I wanted for Christmas as a child.  I just remember I was in awe of the new things under the tree when I came downstairs before dawn and saw them.

I remember a new doll, new pajamas, slippers.  My grandma would send a sweater and I would be over the moon.

We weren't rich and a new pair of pajamas was pretty darned special.  

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom     That really made me laugh.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only time we were given new flannel pajamas and slippers was at Christmas from my grandparents.  My parents allowed us to choose one non-clothes item in the $20 range.  It was what they could afford and we were grateful for receiving them.

Esteemed Contributor

My brother and I were 21 months apart and we came from a 2 income family, (a rarity in the 50s), Dad was an EE and Mom was a teacher.  One year my brother and I both asked for leather jackets; he got a leather bomber and I got a blue plastic jacket (seams split almost immediately).  Usually they went out of their way to be sure things were even Steven but not that time!  I had a great childhood, many trips in the Summer, many plays, museums, nice clothes (after Mom went back to work in 1955).

Honored Contributor

Sure did! Went through three catalogs and made my list. Now my DH had ten siblings and just told me the other night how he loved getting a new pair of pajamas at Christmas. I was going to crack a joke but I realized he was serious. Money was tight at his house.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom at least you got an oven, and yes I'll take one!