Respected Contributor

Re: As A Child Did You Get What You Wanted

As some others have said, I devoured the Christmas catalogs, but didn't  ask for anything....always left it up to Santa.  Christmas was always fun and magical...I don't recall ever being disappointed,

Money was tight in our family.  When I was 12 I was putting folded laundry away for Mom one summer day, and saw a blue box in Dad's sock drawer.  Surprised, I opened it and it was a Westclox wristwatch.  I quickly shut the drawer and didn't say a word, thinking Dad had hidden it for a Christmas gift for Mom.

That Christmas, one of my gifts was the watch!  I couldn't believe it...I never expected such a wonderful gift!  It was a 17 jewel wind-up, and I still have it....53 years later, and it still keeps perfect time!

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

As some others have said, I devoured the Christmas catalogs, but didn't  ask for anything....always left it up to Santa.  Christmas was always fun and magical...I don't recall ever being disappointed,

Money was tight in our family.  When I was 12 I was putting folded laundry away for Mom one summer day, and saw a blue box in Dad's sock drawer.  Surprised, I opened it and it was a Westclox wristwatch.  I quickly shut the drawer and didn't say a word, thinking Dad had hidden it for a Christmas gift for Mom.

That Christmas, one of my gifts was the watch!  I couldn't believe it...I never expected such a wonderful gift!  It was a 17 jewel wind-up, and I still have it....53 years later, and it still keeps perfect time!

I have many Eclissi watches that I purchased from the Q around 15 yrs ago - with sterling silver bands - that need batteries. I don't wear watches often - but those batteries are always dead. 55 yrs ago, my mother and I took a tour in Europe - and one of the places they took us - was a jewelry store in Switzerland. My mother and I purchased watches with 18kt gold bands - and I also purchased a beautiful watch pendant --- on the other side of the pendant is a rose. Last year I went to the Honda dealer and decided to wear the watch pendant --- and it was still ticking. I prefer the wind-ups.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

With my mom raising 4 of us by herself, we got what we needed most of the time. If she had any extra $$(on $23 a week), she would make a special dinner on Christmas Day. Sure, we got presents, and ones we really enjoyed. As Projects Kids, our expectations were realistic, and we always enjoyed Christmas together.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

We were 5 siblings and dad was the only one who worked. We always got a toy and clothes. But we never asked for anything. We were happy with what we got. 

Honored Contributor

As a child money was tight.  I got only the necessities ... a dress or a coat or a pair of shoes.  I never got a toy.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

I remember the candles all lit but not the gifts if any.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a child, I played with dolls for many years and loved them all. At about 7 years old, I really wanted and asked Santa  for a doll's baby bottle kit...big kettle, bottles, brushes, towels etc.  About three days before Christmas, I received a real telegram from Santa himself, notifying me that the elves had not made enough quantity of this product, but that I would receive the gift after Christmas day. 

Needless to say, I was so surprised and went around the neighborhood showing off my telegram.  And yes., I did get the baby bottle kit!!  I still have that telegram...my mother was so unbelievably creative.

Respected Contributor

I don't ever remember specifically asking for something for Christmas and either getting it or not getting that present.  But I do know that I received all kinds of really great things as a kid for Christmas.  I will always remember the year I got an entire play kitchen; a sink, stove, & refrigerator.  I was in 7th heaven!  lol    Now decades later of cooking and cleaning....I think what was I thinking when I was so enamored with that play kitchen!!!!  Smiley LOL

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

I don't ever remember asking for anything.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't get what I wanted. It had to be within reason as my upbringing wasn't extravagant. For instance, I got a Ginny Doll which I wanted more than anything. I did NOT get a horse. Far too expensive, PLUS I lived in the city. I envisioned the horse living in our backyard tied to a tree.  EYEROLL. I also got the ball, bat and glove I wanted one year. Another year I got a Mickey Mouse wrist watch. We didn't go overboard on Christmas. It just wasn't the nature of my family. On the other hand, I was given a college education from my dad with no complaints at all. I worked in college to supplement a few things, but basically my dad paid for my education. I was an only child, and some people with siblings were given much more than I. I grew up with an appreciation for restraint, reality, and how to manage my money.

As Mick Jagger always said, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you might just find, you gett what you need."