Respected Contributor

Artificial Intelligence segment on SUNDAY TODAY (show)

[ Edited ]

The Today Show (NBC) has added a Sunday edition hosted by Willie Geist.  I happened to tune in this morning.  

One of the segments was  "The real face of artificial intelligence: Why it's is already all around us"  (I copied/pasted and yes, that is the way it is on screen.)

Probably like most people, I accept technological change, sometimes marvel about what is now possible, and then go about my merry way.

After watching this segment, I got an eye opening about where we may be heading and how fast.  Big names, like Steven Hawkings, Elon Husk and Bill Gates have concerns.

I just wanted to share in case anyone may be interested.  I don't post links, but it can be found on the Today Show web page.

------

Please note, I changed my post's title as my intent was to discuss a segment presented on the Today show

Honored Contributor

Re: SUNDAY TODAY (show) with Willie Geist

What the heck happened to the show the way it used to be with the other host lineup?  I always watch Today on Sunday morning and was quite surprised .  I do really like & enjoy Willie G but I also had no idea they were changing the whole format.  Wonder what's going on with the rest of the team that was.  Geez, they just hired that new girl, the petite adorable Afri-American to be on the Sunday show.  Where's she at now?  What happened to Dylan the weather girl?  They didn't even do the weather today.  And who were those people on with Willie first thing on the show?  And it was on only for one hour.

No, I don't like the new format at all.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

I try and catch Today show during the week.  I wasn't even aware they did a Sunday show.  I noticed that Sheinell Jones was filling in for Hoda yesterday on KL&H.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

What the heck happened to the show the way it used to be with the other host lineup?  I always watch Today on Sunday morning and was quite surprised .  I do really like & enjoy Willie G but I also had no idea they were changing the whole format.  Wonder what's going on with the rest of the team that was.  Geez, they just hired that new girl, the petite adorable Afri-American to be on the Sunday show.  Where's she at now?  What happened to Dylan the weather girl?  They didn't even do the weather today.  And who were those people on with Willie first thing on the show?  And it was on only for one hour.

No, I don't like the new format at all.

Last week they announced that Erica Hill was leaving because she was so busy with her other duties on NBC plus her duties on MSNBC.  They didn't say who was replacing her, and no one new was there yesterday.  The Saturday format will be the same.  I like Sheinelle Jones a lot, too.  I can understand why Erica left.

The Sunday Today format is designed to be more newsy and also more like Meet The Press.  That's what they said on the Today show on Friday.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  And now that you mention it I did see last week's show and do recall Ms Hill taking the high road. I totally forgot that.  There was nothing else metioned though about anybody else.  And I don't watch the Today Show thru the week, I'm a CBS News girl so I didn't see the Friday announcement.

I don't like the new format, too bad for WIllie, he'll miss me watching!!!  LOL  I honestly probably won't be watching him on Sunday much at all anymore. Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting, I'm sorry I missed it!

I find it fascinating that people like Hawking and Gates see it as a threat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You may have found it already, @Noel7, but there is a 5 1/2 minute Today video online, as well as a link from that page to the original article it's based upon.

http://www.today.com/money/real-face-artificial-intelligence-why-it-s-already-all-around-t86801

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

My computer is being slow so I haven't read the whole article yet, nor watched the whole video.

ETA:  Just finished watching the video.  Musk and Hawking were not in it (not sure if they were on the show itself) but they were reported as having said that their fear is that AI will outpace humans, and, worst case, decide that humans are irrelevant.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

THANKS, @GingerPeach!

Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Great show this morning and I love Willie !