Valued Contributor

Re: Ariana Grande vs. Forever 21 Lawsuit

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't care and I don't know why it was even on the news.  I don't think there's a person in this world other than her who  gives a flying fig about that...or her.  She has lawyers, they'll handle.  I hope she loses because that girl doesn't look like her.

I’m always a fan of the “don’t discuss topics I don’t like” and the “who cares” posts that are present in this and so many other threads. They not only remind me to be thankful for my education and social competency, but also why I always choose to vacation at adults only, all inclusive resorts.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

If you read the details of the lawsuit, it is apparent that she has a good case.

Forever 21 used her music videos,her lyrics and her image  and hired a young look alike to dress and pose like Ariana in their ads.  They were asked in February to take the ads down and didn't.

They did all of this after negotiations to use the singer failed because they would not pay her asking price.  This is gonna cost Forever 21 dearly.

If I were her, I would have sued too.  

Esteemed Contributor

She'll likely get nothing from the lawsuit as Forever 21 is likely going to file for bankruptcy soon. Yet another fast fashion retailer biting the dust. It's not like teens don't have other places to buy fast fashion junk from either.

Honored Contributor

Nah, she just wants the attention, the publicity, and the money. Forever 21 is not exactly Newman Marcus.....she should be glad she isn’t going to have her image associated with that chain.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Companies always file for bankruptcy when they think they have lawsuits coming....to protect their assets. Oldest trick there is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think its okay for her to sue.  She doesn't need money, its most likely principal.  More and more  media is using look a likes to get you to look at what the have to sell. I have had to look twice on many print ads and in commercials to see if it was celebrity.  They use images of your own self to make money.  I dont think it is right just because they are a celebrity and have money. They have rights too.

more and more due to technology singers loose money on recordings due to theft and pirating,   Probably why concerts cost so much.  They loose the right to their life.  Photographers take photos of their private moments, they telescope into their homes.  Stories are printed that arent true, as well as true.  All their images are taken off internet.  Even movies are streamed and bootllegged out.  Often they loose the right to their own songs.  

So I think if Ariana Grande doesn't like someone impersonating her in an ad, she can have at it.  Remember when Carol Burnett sued the Enquirer for taking a photo out of context and saying she was drunk.  She won, donated money.  It discouraged rags from doing that, and the Enquirer lost what little repect they had at the time.  People became embarressed to read it.  Thats why we have to read at Drs office.  Lol

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

I hadn't heard anything on this, so I googled the full story.  I think she has a valid claim.

@GCR18  I don’t know anything about these kind of laws, but I do think that her best argument is that they were working on a deal for her to be the face of the company and when the deal fell through and they hired a model who was the same type as her, it made the company look vindictive and sloppy. The company could argue that they didn’t use her image, and they knew they wanted to use a young Latinx woman in their next campaign regardless of whether or not it was Grande.

The article also spoke of some other things that were too coincidental to not have been copied.  The failed deal is the icing on the cake.  I don't know anything on those laws either, but I think it looks like they were copying her.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Nah, she just wants the attention, the publicity, and the money. Forever 21 is not exactly Newman Marcus.....she should be glad she isn’t going to have her image associated with that chain.

Forever 21 was trying to associate her image with their chain. They actually used her concert videos and lyrics in their ads and had a look-alike model even dress exactly like her.

She is suing them to get disconnected from them.  What Forever 21 did was illegal.  She is 100% correct to sue them.  I would too. They used her music and image without her permission to promote their products.