Honored Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin,,,wow what a send off

[ Edited ]

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Yahoo News earlier said many were offended by Ariana Grande's dress, that It was a cocktail dress and not proper for a funeral.  I read through some of the comments and some were brutal but have to say I did agree that she was inappropriately dressed.  But what do you expect from a girl who licks a donut that is on a tray for sale at a donut shop.  

You'd think she'd plan ahead and ask what was appropriate attire. 

First, let me say without equivocation that I have always admired Aretha and her music. I also respect that her family had the right to send her off in whatever fashion they chose... I will also say that I don't particularly care for Grande and didn't honestly understand why she was apparently invited to perform at this funeral... Now, all of that said, given the somewhat excessive nature of this eight hour event, and that's what it was: the multiple fully open glitzy caskets, the multiple 'viewing' outfits, some of which essentially bordered on being costumes, and the hours long performances, I can't see faulting Grande for perhaps being a bit gaudy in her choice of clothing... I have no issue with a 'celebration of life' funeral, but, for me, there are limits...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Yahoo News earlier said many were offended by Ariana Grande's dress, that It was a cocktail dress and not proper for a funeral.  I read through some of the comments and some were brutal but have to say I did agree that she was inappropriately dressed.  But what do you expect from a girl who licks a donut that is on a tray for sale at a donut shop.  

You'd think she'd plan ahead and ask what was appropriate attire. 

She is getting groped at a funeral and the media is talking about her dress.

#RespectAriana is trending after a pastor got very handsy with Ariana Grande at Aretha Franklin's funeral

Honored Contributor

Thanks @SoX, I just spoke with my sister who told me to make sure that I watch it too. I didn't get to see the funeral because of being at work. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Just ran across this post by Tobes on a Frank Sinatra thread Aretha and Frank ""What Now My Love?".

https://vimeo.com/173290869

Yes!!!!!! My favorite song on that album. Heart

Honored Contributor

Arianna Grande prancing around in a mini dress, people who consider themselves 'leaders' of the community taking political pot shots ...........sounds like I didn't miss anything of value.

Honored Contributor

I thank God each and every day that I keep an open mind concerning other cultures and ethnic groups. what may appear odd or different to me is the norm for others. so I respect them as I would wish the same for myself.and withhold harsh criticism of calling a funeral a circus or over the top. 

For you people who have never seen a change of outfits then may I suggest picking up a book or even try google which may open up a vast world of knowledge for you to learn! BTW, the late great Cuban singer Celia Cruz had several different outfits before her burial.

Esteemed Contributor

Aretha should have done more planning. Some people just can’t, I get that. So now no one knows if this was what she would have wanted or not. She may have loved it, may have love some and hated some, may of hated it all. When the internet is all about Bill and Ariana Grande and not much about her, doesn’t seem right. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Aretha should have done more planning. Some people just can’t, I get that. So now no one knows if this was what she would have wanted or not. She may have loved it, may have love some and hated some, may of hated it all. When the internet is all about Bill and Ariana Grande and not much about her, doesn’t seem right. 

Well, with no written directives, the ensuing circus came to town.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I thank God each and every day that I keep an open mind concerning other cultures and ethnic groups. what may appear odd or different to me is the norm for others. so I respect them as I would wish the same for myself.and withhold harsh criticism of calling a funeral a circus or over the top. 

For you people who have never seen a change of outfits then may I suggest picking up a book or even try google which may open up a vast world of knowledge for you to learn! BTW, the late great Cuban singer Celia Cruz had several different outfits before her burial.

@JaneMarple  I agree I am shocked at some of the comments by posters I admire.  It's a funeal, and she was a geat entertainer, and lots of funerals like this aren't what I'd maybe do, but I see no harm to anyone in this.  Why be so mean in criticism when it  isn't necesary?  Why just not say it isn't your cup of tea and let it go at that? 

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Bravo, @JaneMarple.

Celebrations of life and death take many forms.

A politician is having days of ceremony.

A dead royal from another country still gets maudlin musings 21 years after her death.

The Queen of Soul had one hell of a send off.

It's all good.