Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm only just hearing this now after being out in the morning.  Shocked.  A one-of-a-kind talent and force of nature.  RIP.

@Oznell  I'm surprised it was a surprise to you.   It's been in the news for the past few days that she was gravely ill. 

Respected Contributor

May she rest in peace. She will always live on through her beautiful sweet music.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

I didn't expect her death, @Pearlee.  I remember some time ago it was reported that she was extremely ill as well.  Was hoping she'd recover as before.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I didn't expect her death, @Pearlee.  I remember some time ago it was reported that she was extremely ill as well.  Was hoping she'd recover as before.

@Oznell  It was pancreatic cancer - no recovery.   Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

I will always remember the scene from Michael with John Travolta dancing to Chain of Fools.  Love that song and Natural Woman.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin RIP

[ Edited ]

Poor Aretha, may she rest in peace. That is a difficult illness.

I've just been over to YouTube and recommend the clip from the Kennedy Center in 2015, when (as if like magic) her full range pretty much returns to her in the course of singing "Natural Woman." She is also playing the piano brilliantly. (I think she was there to honor Carol King that night.)   The clip I saw was posted by Buddy Travelr; there are quite a few others, too.

Carol King, who co-wrote the song with then husband Gerry Goffin, was honored that night and starts to react joyfully to the opening bars of her song. By 15 seconds before the end of the song, the whole audience is standing and clapping, and Aretha leaves the piano, stands at the mike, takes off her coat and stands there in her gown, belting out the final bars with all her heart.  Oh, my.

An amazing talent.  No person is replaceable, every one of us unique.  But some talented singers. . .it's as if they take us to a new understanding of music and life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I think it was pancreatic cancer.  

I heard that announced on some network this morning. That would explain her health issues the past few years. It takes people inch by inch, but rarely if ever, is it cured.

Honored Contributor

I just watched the video "I Knew You Were Waiting" with George Michael.  Remember that song?  What a talented lady the world has loss.  Definitely the Queen.  RIP, Aretha Franklin. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin RIP

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I just watched the video "I Knew You Were Waiting" with George Michael.  Remember that song?  What a talented lady the world has loss.  Definitely the Queen.  RIP, Aretha Franklin. 

And George Michael, early 20's at the time of that recording, has preceded her in death. So sad. Two great talents, one an absolute legend, one whose destiny went by the wayside.

Respected Contributor

My goodness, could she ever belt out a song.

I believe in Heaven.  Ms Franklin is now the featured singer in Heaven's choir.

If the rumors are true, she battled her disease courageously for 8 years.  She is now at peace.

What a legacy of music.