Trusted Contributor

Re: Are your dept stores well-stocked?

In the last two weeks I have been to Costco, Kohls, Macy's, Walmart and my local grocery store and have not seen any empty shelves.  As a matter of fact Walmart was jam packed.     Lots of doom and gloom threads so I thought I'd share my experiences.   A QVC order actually arrived in a timely manner too.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been a department store for ages. 

I was in a couple of sporting goods stores this past weekend, and they were overloaded with merchandise. 

Both Dunham's and ******'s Sporting Goods had tons of clothing, and in all sizes and the entire store at each location looked filled to the brim. I will say I didn't go to the shoe department in either one, so I'm not sure how full that was, but I found everything I was looking for at both. 

Stores were clean and very well organized as well, unlike some other stores I've been in in the last 6 months.

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

Thank you for bringing up COSTCO, that does seem to be the place that people are still going to because it was jampacked last time I went and there was plenty of inventory. 

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

In the last two weeks I have been to Costco, Kohls, Macy's, Walmart and my local grocery store and have not seen any empty shelves.  As a matter of fact Walmart was jam packed.     Lots of doom and gloom threads so I thought I'd share my experiences.   A QVC order actually arrived in a timely manner too.

Dare say this is true?????????

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

I rarely shop there, but I went to Kohl's this morning. I noticed many of there display shelves and racks that hold stacks of clothes, were empty,  or almost empty. One long display shelf had only three shirts on it.. the salesgirl said that's all they had come in. Yikes. I am saving lots of money this year.

I was in Walmart 2 days ago and she had gotten a shipment.  No empty shelves, however I have a friend in Colorado and she says some shelves are empty

Respected Contributor

I went to Walmart yesterday and I was very surprised to see so many empty shelves. They had 1 can of pepper on the shelf (which I got) I usually buy the McCormick brand, not one can on the shelf so I got the last can of the Walmart brand. Many shelves in the food section were either almost bare or totally empty.  There was no breakfast sausage that I usually buy and some vegetable bins were almost emtpy.

Honored Contributor

I don't shop discount houses because of "fast fashion".

Where I have been are doing fine and they are ready for the next collections which should be on the floors soon.  The collections out now came at the end of September into October which isn't holiday (not just referring to Christmas motifs but winter sweaters in general.).

Honored Contributor

I think you need to step up your shopping, buy now instead of waiting, there may not be much to buy as it gets closer to the holidays (Chanukah comes out like November 29). I wonder if stores will hire less seasonal workers, if there isn't much merchandise in the stores they don't need the extra help?

Honored Contributor

I haven't shopped in a dept store for a few years. I had to return an item I bought on Amazon, so I took it to Kohl's to do that.  They gave me a $5 coupon to use at Kohl's but I just threw it away and didn't even look at merchandise.

I have been to Walmart a few times.  They seemed to be well stocked, except for some grocery store items.

I keep getting $40 coupons for Talbots in the mail...I throw them out too.

I really don't buy much anymore.  I did get two pairs of shoes recently on line.  One pair from Macy's and other from Merrell.  They were in stock and delivered quickly.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to the mall or Kohl's in ages, so I can't speak to that.  Costco has been a little hit an miss in the produce cooler, but was better when we were there to weeks ago.     With that exception, I haven't had any problem getting what I wanted there.  Walmart groceries and Aldi have been fine as well.