Honored Contributor

Re: Are your adult children living at home?

The younger son graduated from college with an EE degree about 10 years ago.  Companies were not hiring at that time.  He had some student loans and was fairly depressed with the situation.    He moved back in with us and worked part time at the golf course until he was hired as an engineer.  

We helped both sons financially at different times during their 20s.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, my 23 yr old daughter lives here, it's her home. She landed a local internship in her jr yr of college, stayed through her senior yr and upon graduating they hired her. It's 10 minutes from our house and a great position. We help her with her loans but I don't except her to pay those and pay rent somewhere local either. That's silly. My house is always open.

Regular Contributor

Yes my son is 26 and a junior in a state university, as long as he either goes to school or works it is fine, to  help your children is why we are parents, some of these comments I am reading are alfully selfish. I do not look forward in being an ''empty nester'', kids these day need more help then we did in the 1970s and 1980s when things were not as expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess it never got on since qvc wasn't answering what my son did over 20 years ago was staying in the home and saving money to buy a house--

$10,000 and we gave him $10,000 to  make a downpayment when he found a house. Course things were different then. no college with loans--just a tech school.

Honored Contributor

Yes my 33 yr old daughter is living with us again. She moved home when the economy tanked in 2008. Her rent rose by a few hundred $ but her pay check did not.  She went back into her brothers old room and we cleared out another room for her den. She worked and works everyday and pays me rent monthly, as well as for  gas and food. Thankfully her job was stable the and now.. Also she was my rock when I went thru breast cancer in 2012. I will be sad to see her leave.

Respected Contributor

My daughter moved out when she turned 19. She went through college(which we paid of course), we worked, struggled but never came back(to live with us). She is a hard working,indépendant young woman.

And now she is getting married, they bought their house already, fixed it. Now we are planning the wedding in 6 months.

of course we helped her in her struggle, but mostly she wanted to make it on her own!

Thats how it should be. And to do it in NYC was not easy. Huge respect for my girl.

Honored Contributor

If any of my kids were in that age group, came upon hard times, I would welcome them home with open arms! I know my kids know that they can always count on us. We'll always have their back. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

They included15 year olds to 29 year olds. I don't know any kids that young who aren't living at home

Well, that explains the ridiculous 70%.  They wanted a high percentage so they young teens to get the inflated percentage.   

Honored Contributor

I lived with my parents till I got married, let alone after I finished college.  My parents are European anyway.  Children staid at home until they get married.  I never paid rent either.  Just did chores around the house.  My brother lived with my parents till he got a good job.  He came back to save for a house instead of throwing aways money per month in an apartment.  As soon as he closed on the new house he moved away for good.  So he was able to get a new home when he was still in his 20's.

Respected Contributor

We have noticed almost everyone in our neighborhood with adult (unmarried) children have their children living with them!

At least 20 families.

All the ones we know personally:

The children have at least one degree from prestigious universities

They have created lower level apartments for their children.

For the kids it is a great gig, having their own apartments in nice, new, big home in a great neighborhood in a really great location - all for free!