QVC Customer Care

Re: Are your adult children living at home?

Honored Contributor

In the 70s someone could swing an apartment with a minimum wage job...not so now.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

In the 70s someone could swing an apartment with a minimum wage job...not so now.  

Again it is all relevant....I was making between $1.95 and $3.00 an hour.....not today,s 13-15 dollars an hour minimum wage in many states. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Again it is all relevant....I was making between $1.95 and $3.00 an hour.....not today,s 13-15 dollars an hour minimum wage in many states. 

Wrong.  

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/23/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

You can research your assumptions.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I moved out just before I turned 31. I wish I had stayed a bit longer. I'm struggling with bills and utilities and student loan - it's not that I can't pay them, I can, but I have very little left over. Owning a house is just too expensive. Not having a mortgage would really solve any strapped feeling. It's really rough out there, honestly. I don't fault kids nowadays for staying home and saving their money. So long as they are actually saving their money.

I don't think it's fair to say "oh in the 70s and 80s I did this so kids are moochers now." I wasn't alive back then, but things were much less expensive. College costs alone are astronomical, let alone high school tuition for that matter. (And yes, I could have gone to public school, but if you live within the city limits of Philadelphia that's not really something you want to do...) I pay over $500 a month in student loans alone. It's not right to judge and over-generalize. Everyone's situation is going to different. Are some kids just mooching? Yes, of course. That's true. But others of us were trying to save up, were still independent adults working full time jobs, but didn't see the need for an added bill at that time. Could I have gotten an apartment if I couldn't afford a home right outside of college? Yes, of course, but add in the fact that I couldn't work right away because of grad school and the rent money wouldn't have really been invested in anything, I thought it was a waste of money to pay rent.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

What you did as a teen was much easier back in the 70s.  It's offensive to think of young adult children as moochers.

It's not unfactual to say that some are moochers.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden So how are your children doing? Did they also leave home at age 18 and make their own way. From what you say about your upbringing, I'm sure you brought them up the same way.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

They absolutely can and do in many places in the US.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Wrong.  

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/23/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

You can research your assumptions.

@tansy  It must be hard always having to be right. I do not need to research anything.

QVC Customer Care

@SeaMaiden & @tansy  Please stick to the topic without the arguments of who is right or wrong.