Honored Contributor

Re: Are you/were you in the job you thought you would be as a child? For fun.

My Grandmother , who I absolutely adored, was a nurse and from a very young age I was saying I was going to be one too. i even went to her same nursing school. She had retired by the time I graduated and she `arranged for me to get HER school pin at my graduation instead of a new one. I cried when I saw it. So , I absolutely did the job i feel i was born to do.

Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 lolakimono said:

Nope. I would have been a vet, were it not for those dreaded chemistry classes! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I needed a B in chemistry to get into nursing school - first took it as a sophomore in HS and got a C - took it again the next year - another C (same teacher) so I tried a third time , my senior year and with a different teacher I got an easy A. By then I think I was ready to teach chemistry. How ironic that when I went to get my bachelor of science instead of choosing nursing I was a biochem major. I was interested in genetics which was a very new field then.

Contributor

Always wanted to be an airline pilot. That didn't happen. I've always regretted not pursuing that path.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No. As a child, I loved school, and loved all of my elementary school teachers, so I was sure I wanted to be a teacher just like them when I grew up. However, by the time I graduated, I was tired of going to school, and not at all interested in going to college. I had spent my junior and senior years in secretarial training, and started working for a lawyer the week after I graduated.
Super Contributor

I wanted to be a fighter pilot. The service academies were admitting women when I was looking at colleges, but they still weren't allowing women to fly combat aircraft so I followed another path and went in to finance. I'd have to say it worked well for me since I was able to retire in my late 40's.

Respected Contributor

When I was a child? Never thought of anything but playing the piano every opportunity I could find. MAnaged to do that in every spare moment - my true relaxation.

Respected Contributor

On 12/31/2014 ury said:

What an interesting question. Enjoying the answers.

I've been in higher education for almost 30 years. I taught business education courses (remember those?), decided to work in non-profit for a short time, then back to higher education - academic counseling.

Husband recalls us being college students and my sharing I wanted to work at the college we were attending after I graduated. I retired from that campus over 3 decades after making that comment. Who knew? I must have sent a message to the Universe....

My dad retired from TWAirlines. As a child, I wanted to be an airline 'stewardess' or travel agent but he kept saying I had the heart of a teacher.

When I was a child we used to travel a lot. I remember being seven years old and on a TWA flight from Los Angeles to London and the stewardess gave me some little wings. They were metal ones back then and they said junior hostess on them. I knew then what I wanted to do when I grew up and the first airline I worked for was TWA. Been a flight attendant now for almost 30 years and worked for three airlines. I still have those little wings from that TWA flight all those years ago too.

Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 irishmama5 said: Yes, For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a Nurse that takes care of babies I have been doing that for almost 40 years.

Congratulations.

Honored Contributor

Growing up I wanted to be a bus driver. Never would have guessed I work in corporate America and move around the country with my job. Sometimes I still don't believe it.
Super Contributor

Never dreamed I'd work. Wife/mommy was my only dream job.

I've been wife and mommy but also had to work 35 yrs.