Valued Contributor

Re: Are you wearing the right mask?

I also have a large collection of masks.  Thought I'd review the ones I got from Schott out of NY.  They are very thin and the fabric scratchy.  Instructions say to hand wash before wearing which I would have done anyway...they bled dye terribly, the worst of any I have purchased. 

After they air dried, the fabric was still scratchy and so thin.  They are reversible and I had ordered two different patterns thinking I'd have a choice of 4 new masks but ended up wearing two at the same time so I have 4 layers of protection.  It gave me a very snug fit and felt very secure.  After wearing for only 1 hour from shopping, I had deep burrows on my cheeks on both sides of my face.  The deepest burrows ever from wearing any brand, so that was surprising.  Had to use some deep moisturizing cream and it took hours for it to fade away.  

My Oura also gave me burrows but not as bad as Schott.  

Esteemed Contributor

We bought masks on Etsy and Ebay. My husband has 12, i have 5. My husband who is asthmatic, works 6 days a week in a mask in 100 and some degree temps with a mask on. Only thing that bugs him is the heat (NOT the mask). My son wears a mask 6 days a week 10 to 12 hours a day in the heat too. I only have to wear one when we go in public to the stores. My one granddaughter wears one at work. My daughter wears one to shop. They dont bother any of us. But I hear so many around here complaining( they think ts bossy to have to wear one). I think its kind! And I am getting sick of hearing people complain about them for no reason. Thats my take on the masks.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find it relieves stress to just error on the side of caution since there is still much we don't know about covid. We  signed up to get updates on a daily basis from state and local government officials.  If we go to "the bigger city" I wear a mask. I like the ones with the bendable nose pieces.

When I run to a small store in my rural area (which has   had 2 deaths and very few reported cases) I just social distance or do whatever that business asks of us or the majority of people are doing. I also assume that if others  are wearing a mask it must be important to them that I do too.   I act according to the situation. Since we are in our 70's, we do really appreciate those who consider our age. We reciprocate my limiting how much we go and where we go.

Honored Contributor

@Lion wrote:

While there may be some who cannot wear a mask, the vast majority can and should.   

VAST! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

We bought masks on Etsy and Ebay. My husband has 12, i have 5. My husband who is asthmatic, works 6 days a week in a mask in 100 and some degree temps with a mask on. Only thing that bugs him is the heat (NOT the mask). My son wears a mask 6 days a week 10 to 12 hours a day in the heat too. I only have to wear one when we go in public to the stores. My one granddaughter wears one at work. My daughter wears one to shop. They dont bother any of us. But I hear so many around here complaining( they think ts bossy to have to wear one). I think its kind! And I am getting sick of hearing people complain about them for no reason. Thats my take on the masks.

What does your husband and son do that they are indoors and in that heat for that long of time.  Would like to know what masks they find works and are comfortable.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

What does your husband and son do that they are indoors and in that heat for that long of time.  Would like to know what masks they find works and are comfortable.

@CrazyDaisy,  clearly I can't answer for @Shorty2U's husband and son's working location or conditions but I wouldn't assume they are working indoors.

In NC masks are required outside if social distancing cannot be maintained like being part of a work group.

For example the power company's tree trimmers were working this area this past week and each member of the group wore a mask.  I have also seen masks being worn by road construction workers.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Don't know if it's been mentioned because I haven't read all the responses, but I recently read something about choosing light-colored masks over dark ones when the weather's warm because dark hold the heat more, especially if you're outside. The black masks that many wear may be the worst thing to wear when the sun's beating down.

Honored Contributor

I like the masks made by stringking, made in usa, very comfortable,have black ,and white ,they can be ordered on their site.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I wear two masks plus a cotton insert.  The disposable accordion (flat) mask goes over a blue cup mask.  I find it's easier to breathe with the cup against my face. Logically, there's more space in a cup.  Once it hits the 90s here I'm sure I'll have to do only one mask plus a cotton insert.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Super Contributor

I definitely find masks to be uncomfortable, making it hard to breathe and increasing my anxiety.  However, I keep in mind that contracting COVID19 would make these symptoms feel like a walk in the park. At this point, I stick to the disposable surgical masks, which I'm able to tolerate much better than the cloth ones.