Honored Contributor

Re: Are you stockpiling for a 2nd wave of COVID?

[ Edited ]

What general area are you in, @stevieb?

I have yet to see tp in AZ stores but I haven't gone searching for it either.  I was lucky to pick up Costco's brand right before this mess happened, plus I already had a bit here.  Cleaning supplies are virtually nonexistent.

Back in WA my DIL says supplies have improved but she shops at least twice a week which I don't want to do.  

I'm amazed at people posting about their ambitious meals and baking endeavors.  

I don't own or want extra freezers.  My pantry space is limited.

Esteemed Contributor

Always was good with supplies and have freezer, refrigerator and shelving in the garage.  I am thinking now that 6-8 weeks would be better.  At least I could hide out for longer.  List time!

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@gidgetgh, I really miss lunch out, although sometimes deciding on the restaurant wasn't all that easy.  😏😜

@tansy - me too!  The "struggle" for me with cooking is real, LOL. I CAN cook.  I just get absolutely no enjoyment from it. 

@gidgetgh  I feel your pain... I am so tired of having to put together two or more meals a day for the past three months I'm fit to scream... We're not talking gourmet quality, original dishes here either... And by the way I'm defining the term 'meal' very broadly...

@stevieb we eat our main meal at lunch.  Tomorrow's gourmet feast is going to be baked potatoes and a small salad.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Fast food makes a nice change to a boring routine.

Honored Contributor

NO!!! In fact, if this pandemic taught me anything - we have more than we need in all things not just grocery/essentials🙄.

I am just starting to see my pantry looking empty for certain things, freezer still has meats, and really didn't use a lot of paper products. 

The store shelves are fairly well stocked as before pandemic.  I think people are no longer "hoarding" at least in my area.

Regular Contributor

This is what causes the problems in the first place, please people don't stockpile, just buy as you normally use and there shouldn't be any shortages if everybody would do that. 

Trusted Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

Fast food makes a nice change to a boring routine.

@MildredM  It absolutely does; can't disagree with you on that. What I do disagree with is the COST especially as they have raised their prices (many articles on this). They are no longer "cheap" or inexpensive. So, if money is the issue (and that was what I was addressing) and you are looking to save your pennies, fast food is 100% a want. A luxury. No other way to say it. If, however, money isn't an issue, go for it and enjoy. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This discussion really seems to revolve around the definition of words. Is stockpiling the same as hoarding? Is buying back-ups going to affect the supply chain? Does any of this hurt the food banks? 

All I know is that most people probably don't have the room to have too much of anything. We don't have an extra freezer but have thought about it.

We are probably fairly typical -- one fridge (it is a large one). We have had piled so high recently that we couldn't find things.

We will make sure that we have enough food and other supplies. We managed it this time; we'll manage it again. I don't know what word to use for that.

And I say this only to encourage others: We are giving generously to our region's food bank. Please think of them in your area; maybe consider it when you purchase for yourself.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Goldengate8361 

What state you live in?

N.J. is still in the mist of the 1st wave!  Ain't nobody thinking about a 2nd phase in this state.

Amen to that!  With the loosening of restrictions going on and people behaving like arses, I feel this will be one continuous wave. 

I never stockpiled anything in my life and I really wonder what people are doing with all that toilet paper.  No...don't tell me.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

I take it that the OP would think less of anyone who did more than just think about it.  I for one do not want to be the only one on the block without TP because I was afraid of offending the OP.