Honored Contributor

Re: Are you stockpiling for a 2nd wave of COVID?

Only thing I have "stockpiled" are my daily meds, I have a 3 month supply of everything I take, mostly everything else I can find another thing to use

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

Well, I think we are still in the throes of the first wave, but....

What I have done well during this first wave is that I kept us well supplied with paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, liquid soap, dryer sheets and dishwasher detergent.  I have maintained those supplies.  Not a hoard, but I've been able to maintain my comfortable supply level and have shared with 2 people so far.  And I  am more than happy to share with a few others, if the need arises. 

What I haven't done as well on so far is meal prep.  I really am not a cook.  Now, we have enough, more than enough, food to eat.  I am happy with a salad or grilled cheese sandwich every single day. Or a can of soup.  But I have tried branching out more because my husband likes more variety and I really struggle with it.  Every day I think "oh no, I have to come with a meal idea again". 

So I am trying to work on that.  In terms of shopping for actual FOOD, I have calmed down a little from the very early days of this because our grocery store is in really good shape. Once their stock levels were better and they've maintained that, I relaxed on the tendency to overbuy for the pantry. 

I'd really like to take a poll as to where folks live who seem able to find everything they need and then some. My area stores look like war zones and they have for months... Seriously, if, as some folks are predicting (and I hope they're wrong), this mess is never going to be over, then assuming I survive it, I'm going to have to think about relocating to where the supply chain isn't permanently broken as it seems to be here.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Stocking up would require products to actually be available... I wasn't able to stock up for the first wave, which isn't really over, so have no hope of being able to do so for any second wave... As for Fauci, I only hope he's wrong... again...

They are still not available in my area....it is hit or miss and requires going out to multiple stores to find basic items.  And now meat is supposed to be limited even more.  

Plus it takes money to buy alot like is I see mentioned here...multiple freezers filled up....2 pantries.  I suspect alot of regular folks just don't have the cash to do that kind of thing for a 2nd wave.  They are struggling to get by this week.  The food bank lines I see on the news are heartbreaking.

And as for Fauci....when I look back at his changing positions over the course of this outbreak...and he is the expert....well he got it so wrong and the biggest mistake is he believed and listened to the CCP & WHO.  Heck as late as the end of Feb to early March he was saying it was fine to take that cruise...so trusting ANY expert is not some guarantee of anything. 

@tsavorite  I understand what you're saying... I have one pantry and it's merely a larger cabinet... I have one freezer and it's part of my refrigerator... Lucky are those who have more, but not all of us do nor are we able to... As you note, there's a financial aspect and there's also a space aspect... I have no room for multiple pantries and appliances...

As for Fauci, I'm sure he's a nice man and brilliant in his way, but yes, mistakes have been made, and while there are those who'd like to avoid pinning any of the blame on the medical and scientific folks (you know, saving it all for the politicians), that's just not how it went down... 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I am I think we will see more cases very soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. After the run on tp, and hamburger meat, I have tried to order extra food when I make my wal mart/Kroger orders. I did get the ingredients to make my own laundry soap, which I have done before, in case it gets really bad. I also have bought some extra toilet paper and paper towels. I ordered some microfiber cleansing cloths and some cotton cleaning cloths also, to use instead of paper towels sometimes. 

Also orderered another 1/4 of beef from the meat place.

I feel like the only thing we can be certain of is uncertainty. And no matter how much I try to be prepared, I will probably forget something. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@gidgetgh, I really miss lunch out, although sometimes deciding on the restaurant wasn't all that easy.  😏😜

@tansy - me too!  The "struggle" for me with cooking is real, LOL. I CAN cook.  I just get absolutely no enjoyment from it. 

@gidgetgh  I feel your pain... I am so tired of having to put together two or more meals a day for the past three months I'm fit to scream... We're not talking gourmet quality, original dishes here either... And by the way I'm defining the term 'meal' very broadly...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Well, I think we are still in the throes of the first wave, but....

What I have done well during this first wave is that I kept us well supplied with paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, liquid soap, dryer sheets and dishwasher detergent.  I have maintained those supplies.  Not a hoard, but I've been able to maintain my comfortable supply level and have shared with 2 people so far.  And I  am more than happy to share with a few others, if the need arises. 

What I haven't done as well on so far is meal prep.  I really am not a cook.  Now, we have enough, more than enough, food to eat.  I am happy with a salad or grilled cheese sandwich every single day. Or a can of soup.  But I have tried branching out more because my husband likes more variety and I really struggle with it.  Every day I think "oh no, I have to come with a meal idea again". 

So I am trying to work on that.  In terms of shopping for actual FOOD, I have calmed down a little from the very early days of this because our grocery store is in really good shape. Once their stock levels were better and they've maintained that, I relaxed on the tendency to overbuy for the pantry. 

I'd really like to take a poll as to where you folks live who seem to be able to find everything you need and then some. My area stores look like war zones and they have for months... Seriously, if, as some folks are predicting (and I hope they're wrong), this mess is never going to be over, then assuming I live through it, I'm going to have to think about relocating to where the supply chain isn't permanently broken as it is here.

@stevieb -the Walgreens right by my house has been a good source.  I have lucked into paper towels there.  I've seen toilet paper there twice but didn't buy any.  They also have canned soups, some frozen meals, etc.  Prior to all this,  I probably had only been in that Walgreens 3 or 4 times over the years.  

The Target by me has a truck come at 5:30 on Saturday mornings.  They open at 8:00 so going at 8 has worked sometimes.

i belong to Costco and log in and check their site a few times a day. I lucked into Scott toilet paper by doing that.  I had to pay for shipping, but I didn't care.  I have no desire to go to Costco in person right now and line up outside.  

I also was on Amazon one day and was able to order 2 small packs of Northern toilet paper, regular price.  

The grocery store I shop at had low inventory levels early on, but things have improved, except for paper products. 

I live in Atlanta, north of the city. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I normally keep extras of things; when I open a new 'whatever' I put it on my shopping list to replenish.  

Now that I experienced this one time, I will probably keep a bit more on the shelf than I would normally.  And I have a good idea of what I use when I stay home, should the need arise again.  But I won't buy dozens to store and I already have some of what I couldn't get the first time, like masks.

That said, I would think (or perhaps the better word is hope) that the businesses, medical facilities, and governments also have a better idea of what could happen again too.  And that they're more prepared also.  I know that most businesses have had to re-examine their work spaces to deal with operating with the virus, so I would imagine that the supply chain would not be as greatly impacted as it was this last time.  

That doesn't mean that there won't be shortages of certain things.  It will take a long time before much of what is now missing can get restocked everywhere.  But I don't think we'll see the drastic widespread shortages that we have seen.

Honored Contributor

No...plus I do not have a pantry or a lot of extra cabinet space to store excess items in..I do have a small freezer in the garage but it does not hold a lot.

IF there is a 2nd wave our state will be tracking the numbers and give us a heads up.

Trusted Contributor

Here's the thing....

I don't get that people think if you're planning for the future, you must be stockpiling. I don't buy 20 of something the way I saw (and still see) MANY doing. THAT is hoarding. THAT is panic buying. THAT is being selfish. I purchase one to use, one to store. So, if I run out of Dove soap, I buy a package to keep, a package to store. Knowing what my family uses, I buy those SAME products every week, but just 1. Bit by bit; little by little. My freezers are stocked. I do NOT touch them. They are my "savings" food account. Instead, I buy whatever FRESH I can find and make the meals using those items.  IMHO, every person should be doing this; sadly, it's not taught in school (ANY grade including college). "Savings" isn't just about money.

BTW, I see lines everywhere for fast food, especially for CHick Fil A. For just the kids (4), it runs $45 for four basic medium size meals in my area. For ALL of us (6), it runs almost $70. IMHO, if I can afford THAT much for fast food, I can stock canned and dry goods. And so, I do. Fast food is a want, NOT a need. Just saying.

"Coming to ya from Florida"