Regular Contributor

Re: Are you stockpiling for a 2nd wave of COVID?

@Carmie wrote:

I always keep my deep freezers (2)  and pantries (2) full.  I could live for months without going to the store if I had to....that includes paper goods and cleaning supplies.

I don't plan on doing anything differently.  I am always ready for any disaster.

I'm with you. Living in a rural area for over 40 years I have always been "prepared" because of blizzards & power outages. Just a way of life for us. I have wondered how much of what people are buying will be wasted because they aren't familiar with this way of living & buy the wrong things or aren't creative with what they have.

Esteemed Contributor

Stockpiling no, replenishing as quickly as possible yes.

Disclaimer:  This is the time of year I start increasing inventory in anticipation of winter--a couple extra of this, or that sort of thing.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know if I am stockpiling for wave 2.  My freezer is fuller than say six months ago.  When I go shopping, I make of the most of that outing.  Now I can't/won't just jump in the car to pick up something I run out of.

A practice from my mother I inherited is usually always to have at least one spare, like laundry and dish detergent, etc.  Anything non perishable used with frequency usually has a spare.  Mom did this because she did not have access to a car to go grocery shopping whenever needed. It was the norm back in the 50s & 60s  Days were different back then, people planned ahead because they had to.  Stores were not open 24-7.  

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Well, I am not, but the thought occurred to me. I believe a 2nd wave is inevitable.... some (like Dr Fauci) say it could be much worse.....Just curious if others are planning ahead for a probable next wave?

sigh.........

Honored Contributor

Stocking up would require products to actually be available... I wasn't able to stock up for the first wave, which isn't really over, so have no hope of being able to do so for any second wave... As for Fauci, I only hope he's wrong... again...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I hope most people are not.  Some people cant get what they need now, let alone people buying extra for what might happen.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 

I think there may be another wave as states reopen. Too many people refusing to wear masks and follow health guidelines. JMO. 

Regarding stockpiling:

It is difficult to stockpile when we can’t find things as it is. The initial hoarding has created shortages of essential products for many people. I am ok with being a bit prepared, but I think too much stockpiling hurts others. I will never forget the photo I saw a several weeks ago of an elderly woman looking at empty grocery store shelves. Made me cry. 

Honored Contributor

I wish I had people's money that are able to do this. Makes me so mad I could***********.

Just now getting back to normal and people will start another panic, here we go again.......... Wish they would keep mouth shut.

Respected Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

I am getting anything when I can. If I see something I am going to buy it without hesitating. Stores are already limiting the amounts you buy of a product and therefore I say buy it when and while you can.

To say leave some for others is fine, but others did not leave any for me! No, I will not hoard but I will buy when available the amounts that are allowed and I will not take advantage of anything because I remember how I feel and felt when I could not get the things I needed. I will not do that to others. Even today I am unable to purchase items that are needed, tomorrow will be no better.

The future will mean getting through Fall and then going into a cold winter and standing outside in a line waiting to get into a store. The virus is not going away.