Honored Contributor

Re: Are you stockpiling for a 2nd wave of COVID?

@BeccaLou wrote:

I thinbk we all should stay stocked up somewhat. But this panic they are putting on us is causing me health issues and the toilet paper is something I will make sure that we get it while available. It is if they want us all to believe we will all perish eventually.I am trying to stay possitive and I feel very little is known by our so called experts.And they can't predict anything. 

@BeccaLou 

I think it interesting how society in general handles something like this crisis. You will have people in full blown panic mode, and people just not believing a thing is wrong, and doing nothing different, and you will have people at every point in between. 

We all handle stress in different ways, and we all have different levels of ability to deal with crisis situations, based on our health (physical and mental), out support system, and our financial standing. 

They way it seems to work for me, is that when a crisis or stressful event of any kind finds my life, my response it to go into action to figure out how to ride the storm.

Part of that idea is to think ahead to possible issues that could present themselves in my life, and anticipate strategies, as well as put into action, ways to deal with it before it happens. It's just like people buy life insurance, or car and house insurance, or put money into retirement. They are anticipating upcoming possible events that they need to offset ahead of time. 

When you are prepared with good insurance policies, you don't have to stress as much, about the financial ramifications of a tornado blowing the house away, or totaling your car. You prepared ahead of time to be covered should something bad happen. 

I think if people tried to look at life in general, and anticipate possible problems, then institute some kinds of safeguards or insurance or pre planning about those things, it might not seem as stressful, because even though we can't control the virus in this particular instance, we can have some control over having things we need should the shortages and interruptions occur again (for this reason, or any number of other things that happen to us). We can have plans in place with backup plans for how we obtain things we need, how to navigate the places we need to go or need to do so we are as safe as we can be (like shop when stores first open, on days in the middle of the week when crowds are smaller, order what we can online, use substitutes and have them at the ready for things we cannot find etc.) 

We can never prepare for everything in life, and we can't be totally consumed with the bad things that are sure to come in life, but I find great peace in being prepared, in thinking ahead what any particular event could bring. It's like having an evacuation plan for hurricanes, or a plan to get everyone out of the house in case of a fire. It's well thought out, it's talked about and practiced, and planned for. 

I'm amazed at the number of people who truly thought something like this could never happen, both the pandemic, and the shortages/supply issues. They truly couldn't ever imagine it. Perhaps it has just been too long since we had a true widespread calamity. People have obviously forgotten the many lessons learned in the Great Depression and WW II. Most people who dealt with those issues are now gone, or very old and had gotten accustomed to our life of plenty. Those events were very long, and this one has been relatively short so far, so I wonder if it goes on and on for a year or more (or heaven forbid, it gets worse), just how people will cope, adapt, and ride it out. 

So if it helps any, instead of getting too panicked about it, try to look at it as the more prepared you are to ride the storm, the less stress will be there. We won't ever be able to eliminate all stress of the unknown, but for me anyway, anticipating all the possibilities then addressing them in advance to the best of my ability, give me a sense of security. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

I thinbk we all should stay stocked up somewhat. But this panic they are putting on us is causing me health issues and the toilet paper is something I will make sure that we get it while available. It is if they want us all to believe we will all perish eventually.I am trying to stay possitive and I feel very little is known by our so called experts.And they can't predict anything. 

@BeccaLou 

I think it interesting how society in general handles something like this crisis. You will have people in full blown panic mode, and people just not believing a thing is wrong, and doing nothing different, and you will have people at every point in between. 

We all handle stress in different ways, and we all have different levels of ability to deal with crisis situations, based on our health (physical and mental), out support system, and our financial standing. 

They way it seems to work for me, is that when a crisis or stressful event of any kind finds my life, my response it to go into action to figure out how to ride the storm.

Part of that idea is to think ahead to possible issues that could present themselves in my life, and anticipate strategies, as well as put into action, ways to deal with it before it happens. It's just like people buy life insurance, or car and house insurance, or put money into retirement. They are anticipating upcoming possible events that they need to offset ahead of time. 

When you are prepared with good insurance policies, you don't have to stress as much, about the financial ramifications of a tornado blowing the house away, or totaling your car. You prepared ahead of time to be covered should something bad happen. 

I think if people tried to look at life in general, and anticipate possible problems, then institute some kinds of safeguards or insurance or pre planning about those things, it might not seem as stressful, because even though we can't control the virus in this particular instance, we can have some control over having things we need should the shortages and interruptions occur again (for this reason, or any number of other things that happen to us). We can have plans in place with backup plans for how we obtain things we need, how to navigate the places we need to go or need to do so we are as safe as we can be (like shop when stores first open, on days in the middle of the week when crowds are smaller, order what we can online, use substitutes and have them at the ready for things we cannot find etc.) 

We can never prepare for everything in life, and we can't be totally consumed with the bad things that are sure to come in life, but I find great peace in being prepared, in thinking ahead what any particular event could bring. It's like having an evacuation plan for hurricanes, or a plan to get everyone out of the house in case of a fire. It's well thought out, it's talked about and practiced, and planned for. 

I'm amazed at the number of people who truly thought something like this could never happen, both the pandemic, and the shortages/supply issues. They truly couldn't ever imagine it. Perhaps it has just been too long since we had a true widespread calamity. People have obviously forgotten the many lessons learned in the Great Depression and WW II. Most people who dealt with those issues are now gone, or very old and had gotten accustomed to our life of plenty. Those events were very long, and this one has been relatively short so far, so I wonder if it goes on and on for a year or more (or heaven forbid, it gets worse), just how people will cope, adapt, and ride it out. 

So if it helps any, instead of getting too panicked about it, try to look at it as the more prepared you are to ride the storm, the less stress will be there. We won't ever be able to eliminate all stress of the unknown, but for me anyway, anticipating all the possibilities then addressing them in advance to the best of my ability, give me a sense of security. 

You may not agree with my assessment of you, @Mominohio, but you see a half empty glass and determine how to fill it back up.  That's a good thing. I am like that in most areas of my life but not so much with food supplies.  I will be working on that.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely NOT.  If people would buy goods normally, there wouldn't be shortages.  

It has been mentioned on my local news station many times, to stop the hoarding as it makes matters worse.

Honored Contributor

I'm beginning to wonder if families will even be able to get together to celebrate Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays. Will people be able to even safely travel home for these holidays? I will make sure I have an extra of everything, but not stockpile. So many unknowns it is difficult to plan for anything. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if families will even be able to get together to celebrate Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays. Will people be able to even safely travel home for these holidays? I will make sure I have an extra of everything, but not stockpile. So many unknowns it is difficult to plan for anything. 

I'm wondering when I'll be able to hug my grandkids again.  

Respected Contributor

I don't even know how one would stockpile given there's so little on the shelves TO stockpile. 

Honored Contributor

I'm going to keep a good supply on hand, but nothing more than what I usually have.  The only thing is I cannot wait until the last minute or run out of something. 

Through this whole ordeal, I've been lucky to get what I needed food wise.  I get very overwhelmed with having a lot of anything.  I will never be one to have months and months of food on hand or supplies. 

If I need to change that, I guess I'll do it reluctantly. 

I will not hoarde toilet paper or cleaning supplies.  I would feel awful to see others without those things because I'm stock piled for a year.  LOL

Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I'm wondering when I'll be able to hug my grandkids again.  

Oh yeah.  Missing those hugs more than anything.

One app we've used to visit is house party.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

@BeccaLou 

You may not agree with my assessment of you, @Mominohio, but you see a half empty glass and determine how to fill it back up.  That's a good thing. I am like that in most areas of my life but not so much with food supplies.  I will be working on that.

@tansy 

That is a good observation, and something I hadn't actually visualized about myself until you put it into words, and you hit the nail right on the head. 

I was raised knowing my dad was dying from the time I was born (he died when I was 18) and my growing up years, while very secure and happy as life would allow, lead me to be constantly vigilant and figuring out what we/I were going to do next. It wasn't the carefree childhood many get, nor was it tragic and trauma filled either. 

I guess I learned from my parents to analyze the situation, know that something bad was going to happen or had the potential to, and what can I/we do, to mitigate the effects of what was going to happen, or what might happen. It gave/gives me some sense of control in situations where we really don't have much control (but some).

Honored Contributor

If I can ever get my hands on TP, kleenex, and Chlorox, I will stock up.  I finally was able to buy paper towels in my Costco order yesterday, but still no TP anywhere.  Got a 64oz. bottle of chlorox today from another store, usually I buy the largest available, this bottle is smaller, but am grateful for this as I need it for white clothes and kitchen towels.