Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you stockpiling for a 2nd wave of COVID?

During the height of the toilet paper thing I had 18 rolls and one in use.  I live alone and I felt very secure.

I went up to 24 because I was in Target surveying the empty shelf (my eternal hand sanitizer quest) and they came and started stocking toilet paper right next to me.  My hand had a will of its own and reached for a six pack.  It was as if the whole universe was urging me to get it.  

I used to wait until I was on my last roll to replace, but I've made space for a tp stock so now I will always have an unopened six pack when it's time to buy more tp.

I have about 20 cans of soup, chili and beans.  I don't want to eat them, they are ill fated cans in my mind, I have bad associations with them, so that remains my pandemic stash.  I did eat one can of soup, and it was fine.

I have tylenol, ibuprofen, dayquil, pepcid and a thermometer, all pandemic purchases.  So I'm stocked up there, too.

The only thing I am really keeping an eye out for are N95 masks.  I'll jump on them when they become available.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's all we need---MORE HOARDING!!!!  Woman Frustrated

These doctors/CDC/medical professionals need to keep their mouths shut and quit sharing mere speculations with the general public before they have DEFINITE ANSWERS!!! All they are doing is creating panic and fearmongering and hoarding!.....  And we've already seen that some of their predictions were WAY OFF!!! Woman Frustrated

I am NOT going to be a hoarder and instead be considerate of others in my community and buy my usual 2 week order of groceries...Ive always put away ONE pack of 8 TP rolls and bought one 4 pack of paper towels for "emergencies", ..my sister gave me a container of Clorax wipes "for a rainy day".....that's it for me....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I have developed a TP hoarding problem.  I have so much yet I take every opportunity to buy more.  It has been elusive to find although it's slowly easing up.  I have about 120 rolls (household of 2) and 36 more on order.  I literally cannot control my brain when it comes to this issue.  I guess I feel I was so worried back two months ago about really running out that I don't ever want to feel that way again. I wish I could be more rational.  It is taking up some serious real estate in a corner of my living room.  Not stockpiling anything else.

Trusted Contributor

I have a thing for masks.  I mostly use surgical masks, but I also use cloth masks for running around my building.  There are still "resident or residents" self quarantining in my building.  And I have to do stuff around my building.  I have to use the compactor.  I have to throw out certain things in the basement.  I have to do laundry, which is basically a glass pillbox in our cavernous basement.  To go outside I have to use the elevator - we have a policy of one person in the elevator and people used to jump back if the elevator opened on their floor and I was in it (not me personally, anybody) but just the other day a young woman asked me "do you mind?" and I said no.  I didn't have the gumption to say yes, I do.

So I ordered a bunch of cloth masks.  I was going by the New Yorker Strategist columns - "who's selling masks right now?" only they weren't being delivered right now!  So I have three sets of five cloth masks from three different manufacturers coming in the next month.  That's my hoard.

Respected Contributor

Not too concerned with the 2nd wave as we are still in the midst of the 1st. 1 wave at a time.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I have developed a TP hoarding problem.  I have so much yet I take every opportunity to buy more.  It has been elusive to find although it's slowly easing up.  I have about 120 rolls (household of 2) and 36 more on order.  I literally cannot control my brain when it comes to this issue.  I guess I feel I was so worried back two months ago about really running out that I don't ever want to feel that way again. I wish I could be more rational.  It is taking up some serious real estate in a corner of my living room.  Not stockpiling anything else.

@Grouchomarx - yeah, we have more toilet paper than we normally have.  We started out strong.  Had a great supply and literally just before the panic started I was in Target and wanted to take advantage of their free $15 gift card deal and purchased more toilet paper to get that.  And I bought two six packs on Amazon and then one order from Costco.  I don't know what it is with me and toilet paper.  I have ALWAYS kept a really large supply of it and paper towels. . Always have. And, like you, I have a hard time passing it by.  But even though I have seen some in stores now, I don't buy it anymore. 

I wasn't like that with anything else except tp and paper towels. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I would be very upset if the experts stopped advising us, even if they are sometimes off the mark. Silence is not golden during this pandemic, except maybe from non-science people that blare out whatever enters their head.

As for the economy and lives, of course they are intertwined. But in a pandemic, sometimes a choice has to made that would help one and not the other. In that case, I will always vote for lives. And it helps that I firmly believe in government funding -- in this crisis of our lifetime, I am not worried about as much about future debt as I am about losing our people.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

No. I had no problem this time around and I doubt there will be an encore.
Honored Contributor

I've stockpiled for years, mainly because I coupon and shop sales on groceries and household items.  So I stock-up when the price is right.  I've been comfortable during this go-round and will be on the next one.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

That's all we need---MORE HOARDING!!!!  Woman Frustrated

These doctors/CDC/medical professionals need to keep their mouths shut and quit sharing mere speculations with the general public before they have DEFINITE ANSWERS!!! All they are doing is creating panic and fearmongering and hoarding!.....  And we've already seen that some of their predictions were WAY OFF!!! Woman Frustrated

I am NOT going to be a hoarder and instead be considerate of others in my community and buy my usual 2 week order of groceries...Ive always put away ONE pack of 8 TP rolls and bought one 4 pack of paper towels for "emergencies", ..my sister gave me a container of Clorax wipes "for a rainy day".....that's it for me....

Hun, I gave up in here.  I deleted what I've written, who needs it.