Honored Contributor

Re: Are you sensative to odors?

I have a very good sense of smell.  I often smell things others don't.  The odors that really gets to me is the cat box and smelly feet.    I actually think cigarette smoke smells good (ditto with fireplace smoke).  I love the smell of garlic.  

Respected Contributor

With all the smells that upset my stomach and give me a headache - I love the smell of skunk.  I think that's just so ironic.  I've heard that from other people too - the smell of skunk is pleasing to them.  Lol

Honored Contributor

bri20 wrote:

With all the smells that upset my stomach and give me a headache - I love the smell of skunk.  I think that's just so ironic.  I've heard that from other people too - the smell of skunk is pleasing to them.  Lol

Mine was gasoline.  Others were repelled by the smell of gasoline, but I always liked it.  Weird, I know.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt, I like the scent of gasoline too.   And hair dye.  

Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Yes....VERY sensitive...................i can only wear certain perfumes....garlic breath makes me nauseous.....onion not good for me either.....i seem to smell everything....one good thing though...years back when we had  a gas stove i was able to smell a leak that no one else in the house smelled....the repairman said we caught it early ...it could have been a dangerous situation....

Respected Contributor

The absolute worst smell for me is half cooked hamberger.   Between raw and frying there's that in between stage that just makes me gag.  Cigarette smoke and some perfumes trigger migraines for me and then my sense of smell is even more acute.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you sensative to ordors?

Unfortunately I have a nose like a dog. I will not deep fry anything in my house because I can't stand that smell. I don't like most fragrances and no doubt would starve if I had no sense of smell. I can sniff anything out, no smell can hide from me, it's a curse.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

The word is SENSITIVE.  And yes, I am VERY sensitive to fragrances, odors, etc.  Healthcare people are told NOT to wear fragrances of any kind because some people can actually suffer breathing episodes.  I work in a healthcare education setting and I have mentioned fragrances to a couple of students because I was beginning to have problems. 

As for garlic, that's a function of the person who is oblivious to her world around her.  I probably would have told her to go away, clean your breath, and then come back and to the procedure, OR send your supervisor in with someone else to do the procedure because your breath is making me ill.

@Cats3000     @cherry

Amen, sister !!!     

I don't know why this is such a foreign concept to so many ... health care workers are in your personal space, and often in your face.   I think it's reasonable to expect that they don't wear strong fragrances or have body odor.   ... or horrible stinky breath!   

It's not that different from you walking back into a restaurant with toilet paper attached to your heel ... wouldn't you WANT to be told?    It's a basic kindness ,,,, and a no brainer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

A lot of stores as well as offices have a morning meeting.

They can easily remind the staff they work very closely with patients and not to forget to use mints or brush after lunch.

@ECBG

Management (in any service industry) is often very concerned that their employees aren't forgetting they work closely  with patients and customers.    Employees shouldn't have to be reminded of this, but, apparently, they do.

Honored Contributor

I remembered the same of the fragrance that used to overwhelm us in the office years ago.  It seems they still sell it, Jean Nate.