Respected Contributor

Re: Are you sensative to odors?

I have to hold my breath and cross over to the other side when I'm going to pass the Yankee Candle store at the mall.   My eyes water and I get an instant headache if I'm not quick enough.  Oddly, that is the only thing I have such a strong reaction to.

Honored Contributor

VanSleepy wrote:

I have to hold my breath and cross over to the other side when I'm going to pass the Yankee Candle store at the mall.   My eyes water and I get an instant headache if I'm not quick enough.  Oddly, that is the only thing I have such a strong reaction to.

That reminds me of the grocery store.  When I get near the table with all the laundry detergents and such, I have to cover my face and hurry past.  When I have to actually shop that aisle, it's rough.  I try to find what i need and get the heck away from that aisle ASAP.   It's strong!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a heightened sense of smell, it's a good thing in a way, I've always been the first to smell a gas leak.

Years ago, just starting out, I had a boss who drenched herself in perfume.  It was really difficult being in meetings with her. Later, I found I couldn't handle the scent of that fake vanilla they used in cologne and candles for several years.

DH has always had a bad sense of smell.

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh i sure do,my nose works great.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

I forgot about this one.  My Mother used moth balls in all the furniture and outside to keep animals away.

I can't think this was healthy for humans or pets. 

She also washed her hands with Clorox. Unbelievable.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@cherry

I would call back and ask her manager to have a discussion with her... you might be doing her a favor.

I just can't do it. I don't know how it would be received, and I don't want to upset her

@cherry

Oh, come on .....   I find this just mind boggling ....  You can post your "odor complaint" on a message board so it's obvious you do know how to communicate.  It will be "received" the way you deliver it.  Tell the truth with compassion.   That's all it takes.

As for "upsetting her" .... you don't know her, correct?   So you have no idea what would -- or would not -- upset her.   So that's just an excuse.  Hey, if you don't want to report her, fine, but be straight about it.   Many people who are "offensive" in some way would want to know.  You can't presume to know how someone will think about this.   None of us can.

None of your harassment will change my mind. I'm not sure this is an act of compassion at all. You feel diferntly I get that. I just don't agree

I agree with you @cherry  No, we don't know how someone would feel about it, and you are the kind of person who would rather not take a chance on hurting someone's feelings.  There are others who couldn't care less.   I like your take on it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Agree with Noel.  Nothing wrong with that at all!

Honored Contributor

A lot of stores as well as offices have a morning meeting.

They can easily remind the staff they work very closely with patients and not to forget to use mints or brush after lunch.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't say anything to the person or her supervisor.   It could have been a one-time issue.   It's likely, you won't cross paths with her again 

If it was an ongoing problem, I'm sure her co-workers and/or supervisor will deal with it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember, like a zillion years ago, when I worked in retail, there was a guy who was a floor-stocker.  He had THE strongest b.o. ever.  Turned out that he had some sort of condition (cannot remember the details) that, no matter if he took ten showers a day, he would have that smell about him.

I felt bad for the guy because this was pretty embarrassing for him. Fortunately, we had a pretty nice group there and nobody tried to make him feel any worse.