Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you sensative to odors?

Sometimes and only a few will bother me so bad that I have to "get away from the source" or have more then a "Stank Face" LOL. Speaking of stank face yes a dirty litter box smelling of that ammonia smell will make me have to leave the area immediately or my airway feels like it is closing.. Smell of cooking eggs or egg salad, fish not my fav smells but wont evoke a strong reaction.

Respected Contributor

The word is SENSITIVE.  And yes, I am VERY sensitive to fragrances, odors, etc.  Healthcare people are told NOT to wear fragrances of any kind because some people can actually suffer breathing episodes.  I work in a healthcare education setting and I have mentioned fragrances to a couple of students because I was beginning to have problems. 

As for garlic, that's a function of the person who is oblivious to her world around her.  I probably would have told her to go away, clean your breath, and then come back and to the procedure, OR send your supervisor in with someone else to do the procedure because your breath is making me ill.

Respected Contributor

I'm very sensitive to odors - heavy perfume, cigarettes, bathroom odors, fabric softener, certain spices, body odor...

Honored Contributor

LOL. Way to win friends and influence people. OTT is so...banal.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

bri20 wrote:

I'm very sensitive to odors - heavy perfume, cigarettes, bathroom odors, fabric softener, certain spices, body odor...

I forgot about the fabric softener - I use a scent-free Downey (I use VERY little of even that).  But I've been in houses that used those sheets that you put in the dryer.  Those will shut down my lungs pretty quickly.

On the same subject - I can't be in a house that uses Tide, either.  That will make me extremely ill.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt, I can use Tide and dryer sheets with no problem.  Certain dryer sheet scents immediately make me nauseous.   I just stick with the same one.  Lol

It's different for everyone Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I just couldn't embarass the poor girl

@cherry

Or perhaps she would have been very appreciative.    If you were "very offensive" in some way, would you really prefer no one was kind enough to take you aside and say something?

Yes I would, but not everyone is the same. You don't know what is going on in their life, and what would crush them

@cherry

I'm with you, Cherry, it would have been rude and possibly hurtful. 

Honored Contributor

bri20 wrote:

@chickenbutt, I can use Tide and dryer sheets with no problem.  Certain dryer sheet scents immediately make me nauseous.   I just stick with the same one.  Lol

It's different for everyone Smiley Happy

That's good!  Smiley Happy   Yeah, ITA that it will be different for everybody.  I think much of my sensitivities are due to upper respiratory challenges.  But I really never was much for ANY strong scent.

I have a bird, so I have to be careful for his sake, too.  I cannot do things like room sprays.  Those Febreze sprays will not only make me sick, but they can kill the bird.  Too strong for me!   

I used to belong to a bird board until I just got tired of some of the stupid humans who would get birds and then wonder why they died when they sprayed the house down with Febreze, or had a lot of scented candles around, etc.   Citronella can kill them, too.   I guess not everybody does their homework. Smiley Happy   I did two weeks of reading and researching before he came to our house.  I felt it was my responsibility.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

At the hospital where I worked we had a doc who had horrible BO. Everyone talked about it behind his back, finally one of the guys got the nerve to tell him, and we never smelled it again. It's hard to tell someone, but in the end it is a kindness.

@QVCkitty1

I heartily agree .... and it's cowardly to let someone continue to "offend" .....  show some kindness and give them a heads up.   

Cowardly NOT to take a chance on hurting someone else's feelings?

How bizarre. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde LOOOOOOOOOOL @banal LOL It would appear humans had better avoid each other or else LOL. I say whoever comes out of the bathroom leaving it smelling like rose.........shall be the one to say something to me LOL. Smiley Happy A round of Poo-Pouri for everyone LOL