Honored Contributor

Re: Are you sensative to odors?

Moonchilde - I'm glad to hear that you co-workers agree to not wear the fragrances that make you sick!  So many people would just say 'too bad' and not care how it affects others adversely.

I guess their rights supercede our rights to breathe.  Smiley Wink

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC could be offensive to some.

Honored Contributor

@cherry@Moonchilde@chickenbutt@ChynnaBlue@Bird mama

hi everyone here; hi friends! I have been "away" awhile!

About smells -- oh heavens yes! Keep them away!

My hair stylist has a sign on her mirror asking clients not to wear scents B/c they give her a migraine! I can relate.

After having three sinus surgeries, my nose has a loss of protective tissue in the turbinates -- thus causing the back of my nairs (LOL) to burn like h@// around ANY chemical/perfume smells. 

A student in my class did not use deodorant as it was against his religion. Our class went as guests into another classroom and students complained to that teacher. We had to sit in the hallway. YIKES!

Other students (teen boys) used that stuff called "AXE" GAG ME! 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

YES.

The biggest culprit is cigarette/cigar smoke.  I won't go near anyone who smokes.  They smell like a dirty ashtray.  And I don't even go near second hand smoke.  Which is easy enough because all public places are smoke free - and I don't have any friends who smoke.  Combine the stench of cigarette smoke with cologne or perfume and it makes me want to vomit.  Ugh.

Any cheap perfume or cologne will cause headaches as well.  Even strong good stuff will fog me out.  Another ugh.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I would call back and ask her manager to have a discussion with her... you might be doing her a favor.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@cherry@Moonchilde@chickenbutt@ChynnaBlue@Bird mama

hi everyone here; hi friends! I have been "away" awhile!

About smells -- oh heavens yes! Keep them away!

My hair stylist has a sign on her mirror asking clients not to wear scents B/c they give her a migraine! I can relate.

After having three sinus surgeries, my nose has a loss of protective tissue in the turbinates -- thus causing the back of my nairs (LOL) to burn like h@// around ANY chemical/perfume smells. 

A student in my class did not use deodorant as it was against his religion. Our class went as guests into another classroom and students complained to that teacher. We had to sit in the hallway. YIKES!

Other students (teen boys) used that stuff called "AXE" GAG ME! 

@LTT1

What religion?

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt, I didn't say anything about fragrances (perfume). I talked about garlic, as in the OP.

I do understand that there are people like yourself with genuine issues, and I sympathize, but my experience in offices has been that many times a co-worker will just not like the smell of someone else's scent and will use the "allergy" as an excuse to force others to stop using a scent they just don't happen to like - or if they just don't like the person. I've seen it used as a weapon.

I worked in an office where one person complained about being "allergic" to another's scent - yet when I wore scent or another co-worker wore (a lot) of scent, she said nothing. And the complainer smelled strongly of garlic all the time!

IMO the right way to go about things in an office is to go to a supervisor and explain the issue to them; the supervisor can then have a meeting with everyone and inform them they cannot wear scent in the office because of the person's *genuine* allergies. That way it's "official" and meant for everyone. JMO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'm probably lucky, I don't have a good sense of smell.  I also have weak taste buds which probably isn't so good.  People think I'm nuts when I say I can't tell the difference between butter and margarine or good coffee and bargain coffee or Diet Coke and store brand cola, and things like that.  I know that at the hospital I work for, people who work with or near patients and vistors are advised to abstain from scented products and it's probably common sense that they wouldn't eat garlic for lunch.  If they did, they'd brush their teeth.  But, you  just have to roll with things like that if you are going to live in a world with other people.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@cherry

I would call back and ask her manager to have a discussion with her... you might be doing her a favor.

I just can't do it. I don't know how it would be received, and I don't want to upset her

Honored Contributor

Oh my!  Sorry about that, Moonchilde.  I don't know what the heck is wrong with me.  I could have sworn I read that and it's just not there.  *sigh*   I'm getting stoopider every day.  

I do have issues with food smells but, for me anyway, they don't make me sick.  

Actually, the thing that gags me out bad is the smell of eggs.   Nothing I can think of worse, in terms of food smells for this nose.  Gross!   Sometimes I have to cook them, as in making birdie omelets for the bird (I hide nutritious stuff inside them that he won't otherwise eat).  Then, my house smells like eggs for a bit and it grosses me out until I can do something else to override that gaggy smell.