Honored Contributor

Are you returning anything you got for Christmas?

Tis the season. For returns!

Every year the stores are jammed with people returning items they received as gifts.

It got me to thinking, I've returned very few gifts in my life. We have a small gift giving circle. Just my mom, husband, son and me. We know each other pretty well, and I can count on one hand how many gifts we have had to exchange or return in the last 30 years. I think that a lot of it is because we don't buy a lot of clothing and that seems to be a big return item. They only things I can recollect right now have been from the Q, and it was because they sent the wrong item, so that kind of return, or because the item is broken or defective doesn't count for this question, just returns because you don't like the item or it isn't the right size, color, etc for you.

My brother's wife has returned virtually everything he has ever bought for her, and it has been nice and expensive things most times. She is never satisfied, and returns most of what she buys herself, so I guess he shouldn't take it personally (LOL)!

What's your experience, do you generally return items after Christmas? Do you get offended if someone does? Do you feel guilty if you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you returning anything you got for Christmas?

No - I loved everything!

Honored Contributor

Nothing, loved it all.

Honored Contributor

No need to.

Super Contributor

no

Trusted Contributor

I returned one thing to Target that I'd bought for my son that he didn't like. Went to a movie and stopped there on the way home about 4pm. Not one person in the returns line so I was in and out.
Respected Contributor

This morning I returned 2 shirts I gave my husband. Wrong size.

Honored Contributor

I've never been one to return gifts. I can see it if it's something that's the wrong size and I could exchange it for the right size I suppose. But just to be a chronic returner - I don't really get that at all.

I've never returned something to get something different or to get cash. It just always seemed rude to me. I get that it seems stupid to keep something you won't use, but I just guess I don't have it in me to return something that was a gift. Unfortunately, the reality is that it ends up just being something that I never end up using and at some point, WAY down the road, it's either given away or donated.

I do have a few things that were given to me by certain people, that I've never used, and I've had packed away for decades.

If I gave something to somebody and they returned it I'd probably never know, anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter to me. When you give a gift I guess it's theirs to do as they wish at that point.

Part of this kind of problem speaks, IMO, to people who just purchase a gift as a sense of duty with no actual consideration for whether it might actually be something that person would want. When you receive some whacked out gift, or something that anybody who actually knows you would know you wouldn't like, it just makes me wish I could tell them not to bother. Of course I wouldn't do something like that, but sometimes I WISH I could! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's the thought that counts, right? I can't recall returning any presents ever.

Esteemed Contributor

Nope, I'm keeping everything. I had a pretty good Christmas.