Contributor

Re: Are you restricting extended family/close friends from coming to your home ?

@Pook wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

It is a shame so many live in such fear.  I cannot imagine.

I don't see it as fear but common sense!!!!!!!

I see it as drinking the koolaid...but that's just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you restricting extended family/close friends from coming to your home ?

I'm angry about people spreading this disease to the most vulnerable among us and encouraging others to join them.

Normally I don't think about or associate with such folks. But some of you keep reminding me the problem exists. It's so revolting and disgusting to me. I wish it didn't keep coming up.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

No one comes into our house. My husband and I are only doing essential errands as I go to my parents almost daily. My father is on hospice, and my mother has health problems as well. We cannot take any chances with their health, such as it is.

I have 2 really good friends, but they are socializing and doing what they want. The one has been to Florida and back, then to S.C. and refused to isolate after coming home. She has had parties at her house. I cannot see them because I do not agree with their choices. We respect each other's wishes.

My opinion is if everyone was extremely cautious for at least one month, and did not break "the rules" we would be out of the worst.

People are free to choose, but not free from the consequences of thsir choice.

Respected Contributor

People around us respect science and doctors, so there is nothing to explain.  We do have to go to a wedding with 15 people total in Oct.  Everyone will be tested before they come and rules will be adhered to.  Outdoor, too.

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh 

So sorry about your husband. It is indeed very isolating for us who live alone. I am sure just suffering your loss intensifies the loneliness. 

I try very hard to follow the guidelines that help to protect me and my fellow citizens. I do not have people in my house unless circumstances would require it. 

Honored Contributor

DH and I are not visiting with others and not having anyone in our home.  We have serious health issues and are not comfortable having contact with people any more than absolutely necessary.  I understand everyone is very weary of this, but as people let their guards down and mix with more and more people, then the virus just spreads more and more.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have changed nothing.  I will not stay away from family.  Life is to short.  I am not hanging out with others though, but I really think this has been played up.  I read someone said come on Vaccine?  No Thanks.  No way will I subject myself to a vaccine that is being made too fast.  You watch , people will die from the vaccine.  

Honored Contributor

Some people here making certain comments have no idea about underlying health conditions of posters, their families, or their friends. But keep at it i guess.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking of skipping 12/24 this year, unless there's major improvements in what's going on. 

I just don't want to chance landing in the hospital, gasping for air, having a tube shoved down my throat and being on a ventilator.  I don't want to not be able to have family say goodbye if it came down to that.  I think people may not have thought about the road to the hospital and a possible ending if all doesn't go well.  So I'll do what I can.

I had childhood bouts of broncitis and and not sure how great my lungs might be if called upon to fight this viris.  Age is another thing, not sure how strong a body needs to be to come out good on the other side.  Somehow, we are in the highest group to be aware of this disease.  So yes, we're trying to do what we can for now.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21   I think there is a lot of bravado, until it's in your family. Loved ones suffering/dying tends to dampen that down a bit. 

Somewhere on the internet there was an article over the weekend that I read talking about the difference between denial and rationalism. They mentioned how rationalism feeds itself because those individuals tend to keep themselves only surrounded with others that feel exactly as they do. They seek their information only from sources that confirms the viewpoint they adopted (most early on)----it is inflexible. 

We have a small group in our extended family (Dad's side, no deaths on that side from Covid, thankfully) that fall into the rationalism category. Sadly my Mom's side were forced to lose their blindfolds a few weeks back when it struck their family. 

It shouldn't have to come to that. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon