Regular Contributor

Are you restricting extended family/close friends from coming to your home ?

I'm wondering how others are handling /restricting visits to your home. After months of following medical and science advice relating to Covid,  it seems like some of our close friends are beginning to stray . Because of a couple  medical emergencies which included several ER visits, 2 hospital stays, and surgery  we have had no choice but rely on friends for help.  And had no choice but to allow them in our home for extended periods.  These were friends and family that had also been exercising strict measures pertaining to Covid.  So at the time was not too concerned.  All went fine. But now it appears that a few are starting to take more liberties.  There are quick get-always ... backyard gatherings .....  . Our adult single daughter had planned on staying with us part time to help me care for her dad, but her fiancées family is among those that are venturing out  My daughter is concerned.  Because of work related issues he sees his parents weekly either at his apartment or at their home.  Things are starting to get a bit rocky with a few others.   Our friends are social distancing and wearing masks but I've noticed some are getting more relaxed about going places.  Also concerned about family members from out of state wanting to come to the house for a visit when they are in town next month.  Thought I would see how others are handling ......appreciate your input. Thanks 

Respected Contributor

Re: Are you restricting extended family/close friends from coming to your home ?

We have avoided family and friends.  I worry I can infect them.  We both work full time, go shopping, dining out indoors, we have a lot more exposure than some.  I don't know when I'll feel safe to be around others.  God forbid, somebody turns up positive after a visit with me, I'll have lifelong guilt.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you restricting extended family/close friends from coming to your home ?

Nobody else is allowed inside our home, just my husband and me.  We are both in the high-risk group.  Our friends and relatives are in agreement with our restrictions.

Honored Contributor

I am staying home as much as possible and allow no visitors in. I only wish everyone else would do the same. These people getting together are only helping to guarantee that Thanksgiving and Christmas will be leaving many of us alone. People are selfish and uncaring nowadays.

Esteemed Contributor

Limiting activities and connections but not living a quarantined life. Dropped something off at my sister's house on Sunday. Wore a mask - her hubs has Parkinsons. Saw great nephew who had stopped in to see his grandfather. We stood at a distance and talked. Loved seeing that young man. Made me a little wistful for better days ahead. Dropping by a planter at a friend's house this week - newly divorced - downsized and bought a home in neighboring town - just retired. I haven't seen her through all of her change but we have connected via email or phone/text. We'll have tea / coffee and sit at opposite ends of her outdoor patio table. I'm being careful and selective while trying to live my life. I'm being respectful towards others. I have no problem giving people distance and wearing a mask.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Everyone’s situation is different, dependent on location, risk factors, employment status, etc. You can only do what you feel is right for you. If you’re not comfortable with how others are handling things, don’t be around them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

We are currently teleworking.  NO one comes in this house.  I do curbside pickup for groceries, I keep my windows closed where I pick up.

Thats the way its going to be for awhile

Valued Contributor

Still avoid friends and family totally except for my mom, who lives alone and has no visitors either. I take her grocery shopping once every couple of weeks. She recently spent several days at my house since she was having work done on her condo and stairs and couldn't stay in her condo while they were doing it.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I were VERY strict.  No one at all came in our house mid March till mid June.  And then....and then....

The seal on our main floor toilet broke and I had to have a plumber come. then a restoration company, then the flooring guy and then the plumber again.  I kept my husband away from everyone and the workers wore masks, as did I and I was queen of the disinfecting wipes.

When my husband died, 2 weeks later, my sister came over with 2 of her adult children to see me.  We all stayed far apart.  

Same thing with my 2 stepsons last weekend.   No masks, because they were here for hours but we kept our distance.  

I am still very particular when I go out.  No eating in restaurants, no take out other than Chick Fil A, no browsing in stores, haven't been to the mall in months.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Just my children but no friends. We did have to have a repair person come in for an emergency that couldn't be delayed.