Respected Contributor

Re: Are you receiving fewer scam robocalls?

In the last couple weeks or so I'm getting more and I always wonder why and what triggered it. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I don't believe that has  had any effect yet.  It will take many  months before we see a change.  Scammers know they have the upper hand and that they cannot be tracked, traced or sanctioned. That FCC ruling is just kicking the someone else's yard.  They control scammers so they are telling carriers it's their job.  It might even end up in court and a job will put the kibosh on it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed I have been receiving far less calls for a few months now.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I've been receiving more calls and am sometimes glad my hearing is bad. I mute the calls and turn volume off sometimes I take it off the hook! 
  I'm calling to complain again!

☎️ 🔨 !

Trusted Contributor

About the same number of calls on my home phone each day, usually between 4 to 8 per day.  I don't answer them, so hopefully they will get discouraged!   When I used to answer, it was almost always something about Medicare or about a new credit card that I had been approved for!! LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband has, within the past 2 weeks, been getting many scam robo calls on his cell phone. He finally kept a record of all the phone #s. 

Yesterday he tried to call all the different #s. He got a message saying that these phone #s did not accept incoming calls.

This morning I got a robocall at 8:46AM on our landline. The day before, I got a call on the landline at 8:39AM. I had gotten scam robocalls as early at 7:00AM. Generally get about 15 robocalls a day. One day I got 38 scam robocalls by 1:00PM.

The Stir.Shaken methodology just changed that small carriers must implement a special caller ID authentication tool that will help identify robocallers. Major carriers have had the same FCC rule since last year.

"Merely flagging suspected robocalls is not enough to tackle the robocall industry. "The problem is that applying the STIR/SHAKEN methodology requires only that originating providers apply a certification indicating how confident they are that the caller ID displayed in the calls is correct," the report states. Presumably, this means calls can still be routed through gateway carriers from abroad where the FCC's rules don't apply."

Respected Contributor

I've registered on the Do Not Call Registry for years and seem to get more and more of these calls on my cell phone, usually about my car warranty or my student loan. I don't have a student loan and have a very old car, so neither are calls I need to be getting. I contacted the Federal Trade Commission and was told that they are trying pretty unsuccessfully to stay on top of these scammers. Some days, I get up to 10 calls, all with my area code and the first three numbers of my own phone, the last four being usually one digit off from the one before. The FTC has an online form to fill out to make complaints. The rep I spoke with suggested I make a report each time I get one of these. She said it was next to impossible to keep up with them all but when they're reported it helps them locate the scammers better and maybe try to put the skids on the calls. I don't know if it's been helping or not but worth a try. Of course, political calls are not included in the Registry and we just have to put up with those. The good thing about them is that they sometimes have the opt out message but they still seem to come through fast and furious. It just seems unacceptable to me to have to put up with these unwanted calls, either the government agency or phone companies should have a way to stop these. I don't answer unrecognized numbers but it's still a pai.

Respected Contributor

We finally got rid of our landline about 6 weeks ago, which has been a total relief! We never had caller ID, so felt like we should answer. With our cells, of course, our contacts names show up. If it's just a number, especially from an area where we don't know anyone/do any business, we don't answer. If it IS important, they'll leave a voicemail.

Honored Contributor

My home phone is a VOIP phone and I'm getting about the same number of scam calls, no different than before.

Respected Contributor

I'm getting about the same amount on my home phone.  Just this year I have started to get robo type calls on my cell.  

The real problem we have is on my parents home phone.  They are in their early 80's and they get hit up with these robo scam calls daily.  All of our numbers are on the Do Not Call List.